Question

Standard memberMangoSorbet
Help 02 Apr '04 14:35
  1. Joined
    01 Apr '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 14:35
    I am aware that I sound really stupid and dumb before anyones says but what are the actual terms for winning a game??? How do I get checkmate. Do I have to trap the king so on the next move he dies or what???

Please Help me!!

Clueless Idiot:'(
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 14:45
    Originally posted by MangoSorbet
    I am aware that I sound really stupid and dumb before anyones says but what are the actual terms for winning a game??? How do I get checkmate. Do I have to trap the king so on the next move he dies or what???

Please Help me!!

Clueless Idiot:'(
    Here is a game I got mated by Cheshire Cat. I usually resign before the death blow, but I missed this move playing fast.

Game 420504

The trick is to make it so you attack the king and he's got no where to go. Not the Next Move... You need to attack the King and have no where for the king to go and no way to kill your attacking pieces.

You can also search through the public games and find games to view how the game is played.

Good luck, have fun!

P-
  3. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 19:52
    You could say checkmate is the state where one sides king is on a square that is attacked ( important, because in a stalemate, the king is on a square that is not attacked . ) , and there is no legal move, where upon completion, the king is left on a square that is not attacked .
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 20:40
    how can i get my points after i had my checkmate, 🙂 asap pls.thx b4
  5. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 21:29
    Here's my definition of checkmate:

Checkmate is achieved against a player when a position is attained such that it is impossible for that player to legally prevent his king from being captured on his opponent's next turn.

-Ray.
  6. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 22:231 edit
    Originally posted by rgoudie
    Here's my definition of checkmate:

Checkmate is achieved against a player when a position is attained such that it is impossible for that player to legally prevent his king from being captured on his opponent's next turn.

-Ray.
    Hmm .. but that definition also satisfies stalemate , so I believe it is not good enough .

And I may be splitting hairs, but there is no next turn, and there is no capture of king, so it is best not to use those phrases.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 23:30
    My description of checkmate is:

When a king is attacked, it is known as being in check and a legal move must be made immediately to get it out of check.

This can only be done by taking the attacker, blocking it, or moving the king to a square not under attack.

If there is no legal move that will remove the king from check, the king is checkmated and the game is over.

regards, Marc

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree