1. Joined
    09 Aug '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 18:32
    I like how the "recommend opponent" function is completely random. I mean, after all, why wouldn't I, a 1600+ player, be interested in playing a 900 player, or a 1250 provisional player, or a 2000 player? Makes sense to me. I'm glad that Red Hot Pawn made a worthwhile search function. Anybody else love this feature?
  2. Joined
    09 Aug '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 18:39
    Also, I like how after I spend several minutes looking for an appropriate opponent, and I set the game, give it a clever name, just to find out that the opponent is ineligible due to his playing a maximum number of games. This is really clever programming. I mean, who really wants to play an ineligible opponent anyway?
  3. Joined
    09 Aug '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 18:44
    I've spent enough time today trying to set up a game. I'll try again later. I'm glad that Red Hot Pawn always indirectly reminds me that I have other things to do today.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:20
    1) i never ever saw that function until i happened to find this curious thread
    2) i went and found it and tried it a few times
    3) the "recommendations" seem to be random, rather than fairly equal match ups - can't be sure why someone thought that would be a good "feature"
    4) all of the "recommendations" were for players that I had never knew existed before

I'm guessing the "recommendations" are random

So, if this is true, then the rationale is exactly the same as the lottery ticket buyer who invests a dollar for a one chance in hundreds of millions to win a few tens of millions, which will have taxes deducted, and then only paid at a substantial discount if not collected by annuity over many many years, may the "investor" be fortunate enough to live long and prosper
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:27
    Originally posted by dylanfish
    I've spent enough time today trying to set up a game. I'll try again later. I'm glad that Red Hot Pawn always indirectly reminds me that I have other things to do today.
    Have you tried the "open invites" option yet?

You can set up your own game invitation, and set rating limits, time controls, etc. I use it now and then, and it works fine. Plus if you don't want to create your own, you can probably pick up one that someone else put together.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 23:091 edit
    I've never had a problem finding a game, and I'm a paying customer, like to have 50 or so games on the board at a time. Apart from:
    1. choose an open invite from the public board
    2. choose an open invite from a club board
    3. create my own open invite, usually on the public board
    or, if I'm really desperate for an active game NOW, there's this:
    4. find player
    fill in rating range
    choose "is online now?" select a profile from the page offered, check it and challenge it
    if challenge is blocked, use "back" function to get list again, reload, select another profile. No big deal.

I can join as many clans and tournaments as I want to get lots more games, but that's an option not available to nonsubs so I wouldn't put it in this list.

"recommend opponent" is a promotional thing, been around since Adam was a pup, never really intended to work once the rest of the system was established. Like the dusty empty boxes in the old shop window.
  7. baildon , shipley ,
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 02:09
    who do i complain to about someone who is hell bent on delaying tactics , and i dont regard this as game management
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 03:151 edit
    People will do it, there's no rule against it, there have been many threads reporting it, but there's not a lot that can be done. You can talk it over with the opponent (there may be a good reason for his not moving promptly), you can "name and shame" in these forums (doesn't achieve much, but you may get sympathy), but time controls are something you agree to when you start the game. You can always resign the game, the rating effect will disappear by the time you've finished a few more games, and you'll get the slot back (best tactic for nonsubs). If it's the guy who's run out of timebank and put up his vacation flag, he has a reputation for this already, so just wait him out (he's only got 36 days) and put him on your ignore list to make sure that you never play him again.
  9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 03:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 03:50
    Originally posted by rabnes
    who do i complain to about someone who is hell bent on delaying tactics , and i dont regard this as game management
    I disagree, I see the game you are most probably referring to and having played him myself, I believe 'he' is a fair player merely considering his options...given that position he's entitled to take his time, and he has plenty of that left ! His 'stats' tell it all, if he considers the game lost then he's most unlikely to try and play it out for the draw...
    BUT, and beware, he'll time you out promptly should you 'further lose interest'...besides, this isn't about game management, this is just good old 'chess psychology', and long may it continue 😉 ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree