1. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 16:14
    Sometimes, when I've horribly messed up (a daily occurence, roughly), I'd rather not wait for my opponent to see the obvious knight fork or whatever other simple tactic I've set myself up for. Sometimes, I just want to resign. Even if its not my move.
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 16:37
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Sometimes, when I've horribly messed up (a daily occurence, roughly), I'd rather not wait for my opponent to see the obvious knight fork or whatever other simple tactic I've set myself up for. Sometimes, I just want to resign. Even if its not my move.
    not possible. not here and not in "real" (OTB) chess.
    th
  3. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 18:02
    Originally posted by thire
    th

Ah! Good point ..... I think we can disregard my flawed suggestion, then ...

4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 18:26
    Originally posted by dsb3
    [b]not possible. not here and not in "real" (OTB) chess.

Ah! Good point ..... I think we can disregard my flawed suggestion, then ...

[/b]
    True enough, but sometimes you just want that disaster off the screen! I've sat and muttered:"Please make a damn move so I can resign" more times than I want to remember!
  5. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 21:51
    th
    Incorrect. In OTB play you may resign 'off clock' by a) stopping both clocks and offering your hand b) touch/remove/tip over your King, annotate your notes "0-1", sign and leave the table or c) simply stand, and with majestic grace sweep the pieces from the board scattering them to the floor, upend the table and board, kick your chair over and then storm from the playing area.

skeeter 😵
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 21:55
    Originally posted by skeeter
    ... c) simply stand, and with majestic grace sweep the pieces from the board scattering them to the floor, upend the table and board, kick your chair over and then storm from the playing area.
    Clearly the best alternative. I wish a "piece-scattering" feature would be added here at RHP, right next to the 'resign' button...
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 22:05
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Clearly the best alternative. I wish a "piece-scattering" feature would be added here at RHP, right next to the 'resign' button...
    What a great idea! I'm kinda sick of finding all my pieces after I smash over the boards in my apartment! Perhaps appropriate sound effects could be added as well (I'll supply the profanity)?
  8. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 22:521 edit
    Incorrect. In OTB play you may resign 'off clock' by a) stopping both clocks and offering your hand b) touch/remove/tip over your King, annotate your notes "0-1", sign and leave the table or c) simply stand, and with majestic grace s ...[text shortened]... hair over and then storm from the playing area.

skeeter 😵
    LOL ...

very good post Michelle ...

Me and my occasional rage would love to sweep the pieces all over the floor (and punch my opponent) !! lol !!

Ever done that in an OTB ??

I once had an opponent simply packing up his stuff and leaving (with over an hour on the clock !!) any similar experiences ??

Boris
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 23:051 edit
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    [b]LOL ...

Ever done that in an OTB ??

I really lost it in an invitational swiss in Melbourne some years back now. I tipped the board over, picked my gear up, including the clock ( it was mine) and strode off. They disqualified me and, get this, asked if they could borrow my clock back. I did a "John McEnroe" then starting with "you cannot be serious..." Needless to say I never got another invite.

😕 skeeter

PS Edit: sorry 'bout the bold font - don't know how that happened?
  10. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 11:143 edits
    PS Edit: sorry 'bout the bold font - don't know how that happened?
    I recon the bold font got in 'cos there is no [ / b ] (remove the spaces: it won't type out here as its a text-formatting-command) at the end of the text in the "Previous post" section.
  11. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 13:32
    Ooops. I just clicked "alert moderator" on the first post because I thought I'd get a text entry box to explain why I did it.

I'm pretty sure I started this thread, but the first post now shows as being by "Redmike". Something amiss in the database???
  12. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 13:38
    simply stand, and with majestic grace sweep the pieces from the board scattering them to the floor, upend the table and board, kick your chair over and then storm from the playing area.

skeeter 😵
    I would like to add my name to the chorus of voices asking for a button on RHP that would create the above effect....

Given my talent for errors, however, I would also like to add that when I storm from the playing area, I should be slapping myself in the head repeatedly while shouting "stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid..."
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 17:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    True enough, but sometimes you just want that disaster off the screen! I've sat and muttered:"Please make a damn move so I can resign" more times than I want to remember!
    True, but you may be under estimating the other person’s ability to
    make an even worse move next! No one ever wins a game they resign
    in, but many win games they should have lost! Make them win the
    won games, if they cannot you will pick up some hard fought points.
    Normally those are the sweetest ones anyway.
  14. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 17:07
    Originally posted by dsb3
    Ooops. I just clicked "alert moderator" on the first post because I thought I'd get a text entry box to explain why I did it.

I'm pretty sure I started this thread, but the first post now shows as being by "Redmike". Something amiss in the database???
    Nope, it was definitely me who started it. After a particularly momentous act of stupidity.
  15. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 17:52
    Incorrect. In OTB play you may resign 'off clock' by a) stopping both clocks and offering your hand b) touch/remove/tip over your King, annotate your notes "0-1", sign and leave the table or c) simply stand, and with majestic grace sweep the pieces from the board scattering them to the floor, upend the table and board, kick your chair over and then storm from the playing area.

skeeter 😵
    LOL 😀
    you are very funny and have a nice sense of humour! 😀 🙂
    get's my rec...
    and thank you for the corretion: didn't know that.
    th

PS: "0-1" so you just loose with white? 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree