1. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    27 Aug '04 09:45
    I saw a nice little RHP journey written by Genius in the General forum this morning and thought, Wouldn't it be nice for new players to see what kind of site they were getting into

i.e. An RHP history FAQ or link on the homepage

Issue one: good idea / bad idea?

Issue two: (if and only if issue one is yes)
    What goes in it? Well get scribbling bellow and Russ / Chrimso may plagiarise you if your on the ball...

Who knows, they might even give you a prize (or at least a profile link on the history page for all those who's snippets made it into the final cut).
  2. VeggieChess
    Moves
    30 Aug '04 22:04
    Originally posted by Toe
    I saw a nice little RHP journey written by Genius in the General forum this morning and thought, Wouldn't it be nice for new players to see what kind of site they were getting into

i.e. An RHP history FAQ or link on the homepage

Issue one: good idea / bad idea?

Issue two: (if and only if issue one is yes)
    What goes in it? Well get scribbling bellow an ...[text shortened]... st a profile link on the history page for all those who's snippets made it into the final cut).
    issue one: great idea!
    issue two: a question - should this be a historical document or possibly a collection of anecdotes? one is more informative and useful, the other may be more entertaining.

in friendship,
    prad
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 Aug '04 22:31
    Originally posted by pradtf
    issue one: great idea!
    issue two: a question - should this be a historical document or possibly a collection of anecdotes? one is more informative and useful, the other may be more entertaining.

in friendship,
    prad
    .....or a combination of the two. Russ and Chris could compile a basic history in a timeline fashion, giving a chronological history of major events, milestones and landmarks in the growth of this site, then others could add their personal experiences, that tie in with various moments in time.

I might even share the experience of how I actually sat in the "No. 1 Top Player Throne" for a very brief period of time.... Hard to believe, but true!

regards, Marc

4. Joined
    02 Jun '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 01:28
    Having a history portion of a site might mean a lot to new people to a site. At another site I play at, I was originally ignorant of what had gone on before me... but as I spent time there (becoming a part of its "history&quotπŸ˜‰ I realized how important it was for people to know about how the site developed. So many newbies just thought it was another corporate site and didn't feel any loyalty to those who'd contributed free time and effort to making it better. RHP could make it easier for people to know who and what have affected the development of the site and I'm sure it will make them more responsible (in general) and more appreciative of what's been done to make the site work. Once you have a feel for the history of a place, you feel more at home and are less likely to be a disturbance.

Sarah
  5. VeggieChess
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 03:22
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    .....or a combination of the two. Russ and Chris could compile a basic history in a timeline fashion, giving a chronological history of major events, milestones and landmarks in the growth of this site, then others could add their personal experiences, that tie in with various moments in time.

I might even share the experience of how I actually sat in t ...[text shortened]... er Throne" for a very brief period of time.... Hard to believe, but true!

regards, Marc

that's a terrific idea!!!
    it provides a perfect structure that people can fit their stories into.

you were in top spot eh?
    well not too many can say they were!!

in friendship,
    prad
  6. VeggieChess
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 03:26
    Originally posted by AsianRose
    Once you have a feel for the history of a place, you feel more at home
    this is a great point, sarah!
    when you know that there is a history, you feel like becoming a part of it, and making your own contribution to the book!
    it could be a terrific drawing card too!

in friendship,
    prad
  7. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 08:41
    If people are keen there is a whole gammut of options:
    site history
    top-ten players histories
    clan histories (the polyclan wars?)
    touney histories
    forum histories (or is that wars again?)
    No doubt the list goes on...
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 09:36
    some weeks ago Russ posted (as an answer of a question from me πŸ™‚ ) a link to a website with many sceenshots of former RHP-pages. It's very interesting!! But I can't find the thread :'(
    th
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 10:14
    you were in top spot eh?
    well not too many can say they were!!

in friendship,
    prad[/b]
    It shouldn't have even happened, but Chrismo unknowingly helped me by playing around with the initial rating given to new members. This managed to hold off the rightful person just long enough for me to jump in there and warm up the top seat for her. My moment of 'glory' only lasted one or two days.

But yes, "Been there, Done that!"
    πŸ˜‰ Marc
  10. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 14:24
    this is a great point, sarah!
    when you know that there is a history, you feel like becoming a part of it, and making your own contribution to the book!
    it could be a terrific drawing card too!

in friendship,
    prad
    Hi Prad,
    In another forum, you mentioned a "Welcoming Committe", I believe it was your now famous "Ask not" speech😡 I for one, would be willing to donate my time and a couple of game slots to be part of this. I well remember how gracious Marc Miller and Kirksey were with me as a newbie. Think it's time I (and others) gave something back to the community.
    Can we pursue this with Russ and Chris? You know Chris...that other fella' that works on the siteπŸ˜€πŸ˜› Just kidding Chris, please don't hit that banned button😲
  11. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 14:29
    Originally posted by thire
    some weeks ago Russ posted (as an answer of a question from me πŸ™‚ ) a link to a website with many sceenshots of former RHP-pages. It's very interesting!! But I can't find the thread :'(
    th
    I can't find the post either, but the website I can find:
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/redhotpawn.com

I was thinking of something a little more chatty though!
    πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 14:33
    Originally posted by Toe
    I can't find the post either, but the website I can find:

I was thinking of something a little more chatty though!
    πŸ™‚
    I believe this may be what you guys are looking for:

Regards,
    Charlie
  13. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 16:43
    Originally posted by Toe
    ...I was thinking of something a little more chatty though!
    πŸ™‚
    Yes, you are right! But I wanted to say, that something like a RHP-history already exists.
    In this archive you just can find the index of RHP, no forum or playchess page. Or are these pages anywhere else availible?

When I had a look at http://web.archive.org/web/20010402045409/http://www.redhotpawn.com/ I saw the option of a "Move Calculator". What the hell was/is that?!

I found RHP on a research for chessprogramms and programming. This section of the site is not anymore (really) existent. What a pitty! πŸ™ On the page mentioned above it says: "Information - We also aim to use Red Hot Pawn to provide information on chess related subjects. As a start, we have included a section on chess programming."
    This could be reanimated and a "chessintro" could be made. (Russ said that Schiemann wrote some things about that.) All this could be part of the wellcometour to the site. After this you play some games with your personal tutor (or how did Russ call it?)! Or you just "kibitz" on one of the "tutorial games" where the messages (=annotation) are public. Could be fun... πŸ™‚

th
  14. VeggieChess
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 16:562 edits
    Originally posted by chaswray
    Hi Prad,
    In another forum, you mentioned a "Welcoming Committe", I believe it was your now famous "Ask not" speech😡 I for one, would be willing to donate my time and a couple of game slots to be part of this. I well remember how gr ...[text shortened]... teπŸ˜€πŸ˜› Just kidding Chris, please don't hit that banned button😲
    this is a great idea, charlie!
    let's give back to russ and chris for all they have given us!

why not start a thread like RHP welcome wagon and see who joins us in this endeavour.
    we can discuss what sort of things we can do to make newbies feel welcomed here.
    they need to know this is a nice place. they need to see that people care about each other here.
    as ayanat wrote in another thread - this place has a better quality of people!

the more we can do to get people to feel welcome at RHP, the better it will be for russ and chris! they may want that pawnstar all that much more πŸ˜‰

hey!! i just had a great idea!!!
    once this welcome wagon is underway, why don't we welcome chris? you know, that other fella?
    didn't he write in that other thread how glad he was that people still remembered him πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

in friendship,
    prad
  15. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 17:41

hey!! i just had a great idea!!!
    once this welcome wagon is underway, why don't we welcome chris? you know, that other fella?
    didn't he write in that other thread how glad he was that people still remembered him πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

in friendship,
    prad[/b]
    Hi Prad,

I fell it would be a great idea to welcome the "newbie" Chris. I think he should be are #1 priority if we get this rolling😡

Regards,
    Charlie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree