1. DonationAJAXO
    The Be Happy Clan!
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 01:47
    I am trying to tutor a guy; send him positions that embody forks & pins. The set up is very awkward & sometimes generates error messages for which I can see no reason. Is there a way to enter a position viea the PFN (or whatever the initials are)?
  2. Candelária, RS
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 02:57
    Positions are coded into FEN (Forsyth-Edwards Notation) strings, that are (IIRC) part of the PGN standard.

Could I suggest you to use a real program to pass tatical exercises to your friend? Maybe EPD2DIAG, or use plain PGN files, with something like this:

[Event "White to Win"]
    [Site "Tactics"]
    [Date "2004.01.20"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "-"]
    [Black "-"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "r1bnr2k/4q1pp/p2Rp3/1p2Qp2/1P5P/P3P3/1B3PP1/1BR3K1 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

{--------------
    r . b n r . . k
    . . . . q . p p
    p . . R p . . .
    . p . . Q p . .
    . P . . . . . P
    P . . . P . . .
    . B . . . P P .
    . B R . . . K .
    white to play
    --------------}

(this was generated with WinBoard)
  3. DonationAJAXO
    The Be Happy Clan!
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 03:48
    Thank you for your informative reply. However, my real question is: it there any way to insert a FEN into the set-up board without plugging it into the diagram, piece by piece?
  4. Candelária, RS
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 05:52
    You mean, you already have the FEN string, and want to setup a board on TimeForChess/RedHotPawn using the FEN string, instead of clicking and clicking and clicking and clicking and clicking?

In case that this is your question, I'm afraid I canno't help you. I never tried to setup a position in a board here...
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 09:04
    Originally posted by cesarakg
    In case that this is your question, I'm afraid I canno't help you. I never tried to setup a position in a board here...
    I don't think that this is possible right now. but you can ask Russ to add that, it should be easy. but it's easy as well to click click click and set up a board that way 😉
    th
  6. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 09:55
    Originally posted by AJAXO
    I am trying to tutor a guy; send him positions that embody forks & pins. The set up is very awkward & sometimes generates error messages for which I can see no reason. Is there a way to enter a position viea the PFN (or whatever the initials are)?
    I've only done this once but I had problems as well until I realised that I was forgetting to check/uncheck the bit about castling.

Yes it would be a great feature if we could input a FEN.

Andrew
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 12:36
    congratulations AJAXO, with Andrew you have a nice partner 😉 I guess you'll get it! 😀
    th
  8. DonationAJAXO
    The Be Happy Clan!
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 18:18
    Many thanks to you guys for helping me out. I think one cannot input a FEN to setup. I've tried every-whitch-away. Why I wanted to do that; my guy makes a move which kills the shot & I must set up the board again. And again. Since going clickety-click generates a FEN & since that FEN can be copied to Notepad it should be easy to copy FROM Notepad. But, nooooooo.:'(
  9. Candelária, RS
    Moves
    22 Jan '04 04:29
    Why don't you try some peer-to-peer chess game? Or you can organize some chess class on ICC or something like... Or write a chess class using ChessBase Light, or other chess program (BookUp?).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree