1. London
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 16:56
    Hi there,

I am currently a member of Chessworld.net, a similar site to RHP, but I am increasingly dissatisfied with the stuffy, patronising, censorius, over-sensitive and conservative nature of the fora there (where I have been an active poster.) I am therefore thinking of leaving there for here.

Would anyone like to help me make that decision? I have a few issues first,

- on chessworld.net I'm usually rated around 2150-2250, FICS around 1850-1950, ICC 2000-2200. What is the equivalent standard around here, could I get a few games with an appropriate opponent, please?

- I've skim read some of the forum posts here, but there seems to be the opposite problem to chessworld - too much abuse and lots of talk of spamming (Stang or someone?) Could someone direct me to some good threads to read? Both chess and non-chess ones?

- is it possible to create thematic tournaments here?

Thanks
    Tom.
  2. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 16:591 edit
    Why don't you just start playing instead of asking for advice? I hope you aren't as indecisive as this in your games.

PS Welcome to the site.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. London
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 17:02
    Originally posted by Jack Gable
    Why don't you just start playing instead of asking for advice? I hope you aren't as indecisive as this in your games.

PS Welcome to the site.
    Thanks, I have already started playing and am waiting for my opponents to move.
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:27
    Originally posted by TommyC
    - on chessworld.net I'm usually rated around 2150-2250, FICS around 1850-1950, ICC 2000-2200. What is the equivalent standard around here, could I get a few games with an appropriate opponent, please?

- I've skim read some of the forum posts here, but there seems to be the opposite problem to chessworld - too much abuse and lots of talk of spamming (Stang ...[text shortened]... ead? Both chess and non-chess ones?

- is it possible to create thematic tournaments here?
    Answers, respectivaly:
    - Pass
    - People up here can somewhat say what they want, just as long as you don't use too many naughty words. The thing you cannot discuss is computer abuse linked to a name, or help out people on games in progress. All the rest is fine.
    - Yes, but you have to request them. Usually it will be granted, if I am informed correctly.
  6. London
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:50
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Answers, respectivaly:
    - Pass
    - People up here can somewhat say what they want, just as long as you don't use too many naughty words. The thing you cannot discuss is computer abuse linked to a name, or help out people on games in progress. All the rest is fine.
    - Yes, but you have to request them. Usually it will be granted, if I am informed correctly.
    Thank you Aiko, that's useful.

I'd still be curious as to which are the best threads, incidentally. When I click on the "Recommended" button I get: "Sorry, the recommended posts of the week are currently not available." Maybe they're archived somewhere?!
  7. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:52
    Nope. Just unavailable for a while. Has been for two weeks now.
    But it isn't all that important. You don't miss out on much.
  8. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 08:17
    Chessworld ratings are 200 higher than here so 2100 there is approx. 1900 here
  9. London
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 10:11
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Chessworld ratings are 200 higher than here so 2100 there is approx. 1900 here
    Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree