1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 13:29
    I have just completed a siege update, so, here are some details :

The main objective of this update was to open them up to more people, and cut down those potential 5 year long queues. πŸ˜• (The end of the eighty something player queues? I hope so...)

Anyway, nothing radical has changed, but I have increased the number of sieges available. There will now be a 21 day timeout series of boards, on top of the current 1,3,7 and 14. Each will then have a further variation of the following timebank 0,3,7,14 and 21 days. In addition, there will be two more coloured boards (orange and purple) for each series.

Players will now only be able to join one queue. But they may still join one other queue if they are sat at another board. This means, it is still possible for someone to dominate multiple boards, but they will need to queue and perform rather than signing up to every possible board. (Hopefully queues will be a significantly shorter in future!!!)

For all players in queues now (even if entered multiple times), your positions will remain – but I recommend you abandon your places and take up a new board rather than wait. (You will need to withdraw from each of them)

To ‘prime’ every board with the initial players, a new page now exists where people can take a board, and then any other person can start the challenge. (Think open invites) But this priming process only happens once for each board, and when all boards are taken, it will eventually be redundant. (Unless I need to introduce more boards at a later date.) This is something I avoided on the first release of sieges, just asking for volunteers instead. But this is not practical this time, so this extra step was necessary.

I think that about covers it.

Oh, one last thing. I have ditched the ‘castle’ analogy altogether. I started phasing it out on the last big release, but now it is gone altogether.

I will probably release this new code either tomorrow or Saturday.

-Russ
  2. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 13:31
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have just completed a siege update, so, here are some details :

The main objective of this update was to open them up to more people, and cut down those potential 5 year long queues. πŸ˜• (The end of the eighty something player queues? I hope so...)

Anyway, nothing radical has changed, but I have increased the number of sieges available. There will now ...[text shortened]... one altogether.

I will probably release this new code either tomorrow or Saturday.

-Russ
    i dont c any difference?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 13:33
    To summarise :

More of the same, with timebanks, and no entry in multiple queues.

That is all.

This is not live yet, I am just posting what is coming...(taking a break from testing, truth be told.)

-Russ
  4. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 13:46
    To summarise :

More of the same, with timebanks, and no entry in multiple queues.

That is all.

This is not live yet, I am just posting what is coming...(taking a break from testing, truth be told.)

-Russ
    hmm wonder if i can get to play my siege games soon?
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 13:511 edit
    Well, hopefully you can get to play some games soon, because that is the purpose of the update!

-Russ
  6. Amsterdam
    Moves
    09 Sep '04 21:15
    Great Russ! Should be enough to do the trick and get the sieges to work as once planned! πŸ™‚

O.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Sep '04 10:33
    Now live.

-Russ
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Sep '04 13:02
    Glad to see the colours are back, appeals to the inner-child in me! I am also straight into a game, although I'm not sure how?! What would be nice is to see your own position in the queues highlighted as I'm sure it used to be.
  9. Amsterdam
    Moves
    10 Sep '04 21:58
    I'm wondering if something is possible.

Let's say I'm playing in a 14 day T/O castle. But I wan't to join a different que. I'll have to leave the first siege then, but how do I that without losing a game? Shouldn't there be a 'I Give Up' button?

O.
  10. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 08:10
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    I'm wondering if something is possible.

Let's say I'm playing in a 14 day T/O castle. But I wan't to join a different que. I'll have to leave the first siege then, but how do I that without losing a game? Shouldn't there be a 'I Give Up' button?

O.
    You can be playing on any numer of boards but only be in one queue. So you don't have to stop playing to join a queue.
    πŸ˜‰

11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 10:52
    Originally posted by gumbie
    You can be playing on any numer of boards but only be in one queue. So you don't have to stop playing to join a queue.
    πŸ˜‰

This is correct.

If anyone manages to hold a number of boards it will be quite an achievement.

-Russ
  12. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 11:01
    This is correct.

If anyone manages to hold a number of boards it will be quite an achievement.

-Russ
    i am playing in 1 siege,
    "Sorry, you are currently playing at another siege board."
  13. Amsterdam
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 11:02
    Does that mean I'm already in another que but can't remember I joined?

O.
  14. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 13:34
    Great improvement. Finally, I'm playing my first Siege Game!

One thought on this though. I may be wrong but the Sieges may become more and more occupied by very, very good players. Lower rated players may loose interest in Sieges over time. So why don't you limit each colour with a rating band similar to tournaments?
    I know there is some tricky challenge involved:
    - What to do with players which grow their rating while they are queuing?, etc ...
    Anyway it's just a start and at the moment I'm enjoying it.

Gotti
  15. Spokane, WA
    Moves
    11 Sep '04 18:00
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i am playing in 1 siege,
    "Sorry, you are currently playing at another siege board."
    That means you can't challenge anyone for the first game or take a board. You can only be playing one at first, and can only join one queue.

So you are playing one siege game, and are waiting in one game only. That game in the siege you are waiting starts, then you can join another queue, that one starts, and on and on.

If you try to join a queue and it says you can only have one, that means you are waiting in another queue. You can go find that one and withdraw if you'd like and join another where the wait isn't so long.

This is how I've figured it.

ncrosbyπŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree