1. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 19:09
    I've been considering ponying up for the ridiculously cheap annual membership, but have some extraordinarily slow pageload times... and this is on cablemodem. Have to move onto some other pages and come back when the game is ready! Happens all times of day except late at night (in N. America). Any ideas what is causing this and when/if it might improve? Danke!!
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 19:22
    Originally posted by ohfreak
    I've been considering ponying up for the ridiculously cheap annual membership, but have some extraordinarily slow pageload times... and this is on cablemodem. Have to move onto some other pages and come back when the game is ready! Happens all times of day except late at night (in N. America). Any ideas what is causing this and when/if it might improve? Danke!!
    Most likely cause is your browser and/or version. Also check your privacy settings to allow RHP to set the page / site cookies and if that passes then it may be you need more cache RAM over the usual onboard shared type.

BR's skeeter
  3. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 19:281 edit
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Most likely cause is your browser and/or version. Also check your privacy settings to allow RHP to set the page / site cookies and if that passes then it may be you need more cache RAM over the usual onboard shared type.

BR's skeeter
    My cookie settings are correct... thing is, it's ONLY RHP that runs slowly. Every other site in every other part of the world loads up like gangbusters...

Incidentally I've tested it in IE 6 and Nutscrape 7.1... same dilly-yo. 🙂
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 19:35
    Originally posted by ohfreak
    My cookie settings are correct... thing is, it's ONLY RHP that runs slowly. Every other site in every other part of the world loads up like gangbusters...
    Enter Russ, stage right. 😛
  5. Joined
    08 Mar '03
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 20:01
    I've got to admit, I've noticed a slow down over past couple of weeks (OpenBSD/Firebird).
    However, it's not like we are playing 5 minute blitz here, this is correspondance chess!

I usually open up a few games at the same time, move in a couple and analyse the others while the move is uploaded - it's no big deal! 🙂
  6. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 20:12
    there are too many players at the site at this time. Soon there will be improvements by buying a new server or something like that. I don't know much about this, but that should solve the problem. It is not that only you have this problem. We all "suffer" from it, but as I said, it is just a matter of time before this is solved.
    Greetings,
    Sander
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 20:45
    Originally posted by tejo
    there are too many players at the site at this time. Soon there will be improvements by buying a new server or something like that. I don't know much about this, but that should solve the problem. It is not that only you have this problem. We all "suffer" from it, but as I said, it is just a matter of time before this is solved.
    Greetings,
    Sander
    I suppose I am fortunate that with the time differance, when I play on the site all youse northern hemi's are in zzzz land. I virtually have the site to myself at times along with a few other Kiwi's and the odd Aussie who has fallen asleep after a second VB and hasn't logged off 😵

skeeter
  8. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 21:11
    Originally posted by Lazaraus

However, it's not like we are playing 5 minute blitz here, this is correspondance chess!
    Indeed we're not playing blitz... I guess I'm just an impatient person by nature!

I just wanted to validate that it's not solely on my end... Wee!
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jan '04 22:56
    We acknowledge that this is a problem.

The site speed does vary - and it is all down to load (number of concurrent users). We have done all was can to speed up the site – so now we have to throw money at it. A significant hardware upgrade is coming soon.

We had hoped to have the new hardware in place already, but for unknown reasons, our hosts have decided to be uncharacteristically unhelpful all of a sudden. This is the only thing stopping us at the moment. Hopefully, by the end of this week (fingers crossed)… so please stick around a little longer – we are getting there.

[BTW- During my early mornings - the site is as quick as I could reasonably expect it to be. But once America wakes up, things start to crawl a little…Friday afternoons being the worst.]

-Russ
  10. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    20 Jan '04 02:54
    Originally posted by Russ
    Hopefully, by the end of this week (fingers crossed)… so please stick around a little longer – we are getting there.
    I understand how frustrating that can be! I did pony up for the membership regardless... Can't beat the price and the benefits!

Thanks Russarino!

Errrrrrrr.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jan '04 10:53
    Big news here. We have decided to switch our hosts.

A big decision to make, but it means in future we can grow without further trouble. I'll keep you posted on developements - we are trying to relocate asap.

-Russ
  12. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    21 Jan '04 19:57
    Originally posted by Russ
    Big news here. We have decided to switch our hosts.

A big decision to make, but it means in future we can grow without further trouble. I'll keep you posted on developements - we are trying to relocate asap.

-Russ
    sounds great.😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree