Stalemate??

Standard memberemjay58
Help 21 Feb '03 01:51
  1. Joined
    02 Feb '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 01:51
    Can anyone tell me why game 168421 ended in stalemate?
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 02:14
    I can not see it could possibily be a stalemate, you definitely had moves available to you. Send an email to Russ/Cris asking them to reset the game.

Sorry I can not be more help.

-mike
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 02:34
    Originally posted by emjay58
    Weird. You had him on your next move, too. Must be something wrong in the code. If there had been no Queens, and had it been blacks move, it would have been stale mate.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 03:04
    Thanks guys - just wanted to make sure there wasn't some twist to the stalemate rule that had eluded me. I've alerted the experts to the bug. cheers, Martin
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 18:18
    This is indeed a bug, and it happens very infrequently. (It is because the stalemate condition it checked before the piece is promoted - it should be simple to fix (I hope) )

I will get to work on it once I have the new release up. (Don't like to meddle with too many things at once)

The game should be restored for the time being anyway, so enjoy finishing your game.

-Russ
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '03 21:13
    Many thanks Russ - all now OK. Cheers, MartinπŸ˜€
  7. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    22 Feb '03 00:041 edit
    Same game, tiny bug. I tried to check out the game. When I pressed <one move back> I saw the black queen being "demoted" to pawn. Then I wondered how the pawn promoting caused a check mate. After some fiddling I discovered that when the board is first shown, the very last move is played back: Qe8-b8, "unmate". But after that, pressing <one move forward> does NOT show that move anymore. In other words, the game 'ends' one move early, when replaying it.

Is this perhaps what is called an Obi-wan ('off by one'πŸ˜‰ bug? :-)
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    22 Feb '03 22:11
    Originally posted by emjay58
    can anybody tell me why the game is "check mate"? πŸ˜•
  9. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    23 Feb '03 20:35
    Originally posted by thire
    See my posting, right above yours.
  10. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    24 Feb '03 14:08
    Originally posted by thire
    do you mean by this, where does the term "check mate" come from? I heard somewhere it is from Yatch Mach (and yes, that's phonetically written) meaning "the king is dead". Obviously the langusage is of somemof the earliest players of chess, but embarasingly I can't remember which one.

C&R, have you ever concidered writting or getting someone to write a brief history of chess? I'd find that interesting (maybe I should go down to th elibrary, but all the books ar ein French or Dutch)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree