1. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 09:241 edit
    Originally posted by thire
    It is locigal:
    I do not want to time him out, when he does not move because he is on vaction. I do want to time him out when he is at home sitting at his PC and moving in all games except in our... got it? 😉
    th
    I still don't understand this. If you don't want to T/O someone then don't hit the T/O button. This has exactly he same effect as stopping their clock.

The only time you can't do this is in tourneys and that is for a very good reason. Your 'kindness' in allowing your oppoenent extra time doesn't only slow your game but holds up the whole tourney.
  2. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 09:26
    they start loads of short timebank games when they know they're going on holiday for 2 weeks it's their own stupid fault, in my honest opinion.[/b]
    that's OK if your games last for under 6 weeks (the forseeable future). If your games last for months then it's perfectely reasonalble that you are away longer than anticipated.
  3. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 09:27
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    I still don't understand this. If you don't want to T/O someone the don't hist the T/O button.
    The only time you can't do this is in tourneys and that is for a very good reason.
    I think all people really want is to be able postpone games and not be timed out. I think the timebank system works well for me but I can see that it might not for others.
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 09:27
    I still don't understand this. If you don't want to T/O someone the don't hist the T/O button.
    The only time you can't do this is in tourneys and that is for a very good reason.
    I think I know what U don't understand...
    I know that, but I just want more control over whom I shall t/o and whom not. "my ststem" helps me to do so. okay?
    th
  5. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 09:38
    Originally posted by thire
    I think I know what U don't understand...
    I know that, but I just want more control over whom I shall t/o and whom not. "my ststem" helps me to do so. okay?
    th
    seriously, I still don't understand. Do you need to block yourself in advance from claiming T/O because you can't resist the urge to hit that button? The only logic I can see is if you play so many games so fast that you need a block on T/O in matches that you think they deserve extra time to stop you forgetting.

Anyway, I don't want my oppo messing with my clock. Sometimes I need that clock to appear to make me realise that I haven't moved in a long time in that game and to nudge me into action.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 10:18
    I think postponement of games is the best option as otherwise you may be setting your games for a much longer than really necessary time(or your clan leader) to allow holiday time even though you might want fastish games. There are lots of people who do try to break away from the hold of RHP over the summer months and don't want to have to pop into a net cafe(even if there is one) whilst on hols. 🙂.
  7. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 10:26
    Originally posted by Pulsatilla
    I think postponement of games is the best option as otherwise you may be setting your games for a much longer than really necessary time(or your clan leader) to allow holiday time even though you might want fastish games. There are lots of people who do try to break away from the hold of RHP over the summer months and don't want to have to pop into a net cafe(even if there is one) whilst on hols. 🙂.
    Could you explain further? Postponement how? If you allow people to decide that they aren't going to continue playing a certain game at whim then this allows for massive abuse of the system. If you are suggesting that 2 players should be able to agree to postpone a game by agreement that how does this differ from them just agreeing to not hit the T/O button? If you are suggesting that a player should be able to suspend his whole account and thereby freeeze all ongoig games then this would balso be open to abuse and deeeply frustrating for the oppos. Did you have another idea?
  8. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 14:39
    Could you explain further? Postponement how? If you allow people to decide that they aren't going to continue playing a certain game at whim then this allows for massive abuse of the system. If you are suggesting that 2 players should be able to agree to postpone a game by agreement that how does this differ from them just agreeing to not hit the T/O b ...[text shortened]... s would balso be open to abuse and deeeply frustrating for the oppos. Did you have another idea?
    It would be difficult to abuse the system that Exy and I are suggesting. Everyone gets the same alottment of vacation days per year. And you can't just use it to avoid making moves in one particular game, because it would prevent you from making moves or even viewing ALL of your games, with the exception of tourney games and sieges. This system has been in place for years at Caissa's Web, the other chess site to which I am a member, and it works wonderfully. Simply turning on the vacation flag would cost you a day of vacation even if you turned it right back off, so it would stop people from using it frivolously.

As was said earlier, people really deserve the freedom to step away from RHP for a week or two, without worrying about whether their vacation flag is being honored by their opponenets.
  9. Joined
    03 Oct '03
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 08:07
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    It would be difficult to abuse the system that Exy and I are suggesting. Everyone gets the same alottment of vacation days per year. And you can't just use it to avoid making moves in one particular game, because it would prevent you from making moves or even viewing ALL of your games, with the exception of tourney games and sieges. This system h ...[text shortened]... two, without worrying about whether their vacation flag is being honored by their opponenets.
    As Exy and Natural Science are suggesting, also along the lines that gameknot use(at the moment RHP is losing a few people going in that direction simply because of this) 🙂
  10. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 11:44
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    It would be difficult to abuse the system that Exy and I are suggesting. Everyone gets the same alottment of vacation days per year. And you can't just use it to avoid making moves in one particular game, because it would prevent you from making moves or even viewing ALL of your games, with the exception of tourney games and sieges. This system h ...[text shortened]... two, without worrying about whether their vacation flag is being honored by their opponenets.
    If you set a rule that says that no one can be T/O when they have their vacation icon on then you also send the message that no vacation icon means there is no reason not to time someone out. The system at the moment is that timebank lets someone have safe time from being T/O due ot holiday. If you wan to 30 days safe time a year then start all your games with 30 days timbank. Why does the VF beed to cover this too?

An auto timeout after you have used your years allocation of vacation days however means that anyone who is consistantly away for more than 30 days years is unable to use the site. I could set all my games to 28 day TO but this would mean that potentially I have to wait 28 days for every oppos move.

If people use TB correctly there is no issue.
  11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 12:491 edit
    If people use TB correctly there is no issue.
    I agree 100%, unfortunately most people don't bother to customise their time out and time bank settings and just play games with the default and then get upset when they get timed out.

All I was suggesting was a way to try and improve the system across the board for the general benefit of the most typical player. I think it would be better to do away with the vacation flag altogether and force people to realise it's the time bank that counts here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree