1. London
    Moves
    11 Jun '03 22:43
    Olav (Living Legend) suggested that I should re-post here my suggestion from this thread
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=5364

[Sometimes a mistake really spoils a game for both players]

Perhaps the player with the move could have an 'offer take-back' option, presented in a similar way to 'offer draw'. If you wanted to ask for a take-back, you would send your opponent a private message and hope he read it before entering his move.

I'm not sure how 'offer draw' works, but it would be great if 'offer take-back' could be something one would select in addition to entering a move; that way less time would be lost if the other player didn't want the take-back (although it would mean there was one extra move to undo...)

Some players might be insulted by being offered a take-back, and some might not like to be asked; but they could always put that in their profile.
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    12 Jun '03 07:281 edit
    Sounds okay to me. i see only one problem, potentially i will be offered a take back after every move 😲

-trekkie
  3. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    12 Jun '03 11:22
    Originally posted by trekkie
    Sounds okay to me. i see only one problem, potentially i will be offered a take back after every move 😲

-trekkie
    Problem?When they don't send the take-back offer,you know you made a good move.See no problem there!😛
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    12 Jun '03 12:18
    seems like a 'teacher' type of thing to do, which of itself is as good a way to play as any.

I would suggest though that the use of any such feature (or a varient thereof, such as a 'request take back' button alongside the refresh button while waiting for opponents' move) should, if accepted by the opposing player, automatically set the game to unrated (if it isn't already) and be banned from tounrnaments.
  5. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    12 Jun '03 13:391 edit
    Originally posted by Toe
    seems like a 'teacher' type of thing to do, which of itself is as good a way to play as any.

if accepted by the opposing player, automatically set the game to unrated (if it isn't already) and be banned from tounrnaments.
    I agree, but I still think that this will cause more complications than it's worth.

IF this happens I'd like to see it in non-rated games only. If someone is teaching it should be non-rated already. If someone is having a "fun" game where the rules of chess (touch move etc) aren't important & rating doesn't matter (rating includes not making cock-ups as well as making good moves) then it should be an unrated game already.

An unthoughtout idea - how about a "teacher mode" where the game was unrated and the game could be manipulated by either just the "teacher" or both sides in any way desired. This would allow a teacher to show the downfall of one avenue, then retrace the game to where the pivitol move was made to show alternatives...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree