1. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 00:31
    how does one claim a draw based on 3fold repetition anyway? I recall a discussion about this a while ago. Has that not yet been implemented? Any ruling on timing of the claim?

I've got one ongoing right now that I have no idea how to claim... I'm about to make move 52, and note that not only is there (a) a threefold repetition of positioni after my move 51, but ALSO (b) there's a SECOND threefold repetition of position after the next move (her move is forced assuming she doesn't want to lose a rook, all her threats with it, and leave me with a won game, that is, then my move to seal the OTHER 3-fold repetition is plain. 52 ... Qb6+ 53. Kd7 Qd4+ =).

Game 410294

(not soliciting comments, just pointing the game out -- and hopefully, this question will soon be moot because I'm also addressing this argument to my opponent and see if she agrees to a voluntary draw. My message to my opponent: Actually, technically, I've got a draw based on 3fold repetition of position, after my moves 46, 49, and 51... but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism in RHP to claim it! Even if it were too late to claim, I get one immediately after the next move, too! (obviously, Kd7 forced unless you WANT to lose the rook... at which point I'll go Qd4+, duplicating the position after both my move 48 and my move 45) And on that note, wanna voluntarily accept the draw? :-))

at any rate, there really ought to be a way to claim the draw regardless of the compliance of the opponent...
  2. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 00:42
    the game in question was mooted by her voluntarily accepting the draw, but the point remains in general :-)
  3. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 01:08
    Originally posted by paultopia
    the game in question was mooted by her voluntarily accepting the draw, but the point remains in general :-)
    I'm not certain but I think it only applies if both players make the exact same move three times in a row. It appeared that the king move to different locations. I hope this helps,

Cheshire Cat ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Moving on...
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 01:08
    i have enjoyed both our games but as i could have check mated you in one move i reckon it is you who purposely made the repetitive moving knowing that if you didn't i would win the game without a doubt. like i said before paul there are no hard feelings and maybe i'm taking this to heart being a girly and everything๐Ÿ˜‰ but now i feel like i've been accused of some kind of cheating.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 01:16
    What a fun game. I think it was played well and went where it had to go in the end. I even tried some trades and it still seems to be a draw. Just took a quick glance though.

P-
  6. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 02:27
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
    I'm not certain but I think it only applies if both players make the exact same move three times in a row. It appeared that the king move to different locations. I hope this helps,

Cheshire Cat ๐Ÿ˜€
    A draw can be claimed if the same position occurs three times - it doesn't matter if the occurrences are not consecutive, or if different moves were played to reach the same position.
  7. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 08:10
    Originally posted by wucky3
    i have enjoyed both our games but as i could have check mated you in one move i reckon it is you who purposely made the repetitive moving knowing that if you didn't i would win the game without a doubt. like i said before paul there are no hard feelings and maybe i'm taking this to heart being a girly and everything๐Ÿ˜‰ but now i feel like i've been accused of some kind of cheating.
    oh, no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come off like an accusation of cheating. Of course I deliberately forced the repetition to avoid the several forced mates you had! I just wanted to make the point for future games, really, and our game was a good way to make the point that there was no way to make a draw happen.

I apologize if it came off like some kind of accusation. I promise it wasn't intended that way at all!
  8. Joined
    27 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 10:09
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    A draw can be claimed if the same position occurs three times - it doesn't matter if the occurrences are not consecutive, or if different moves were played to reach the same position.
    Agreed but only if it is the same player's turn to move.

Until there is a permanent fix for this problem I suggest that BEFORE you make the move which repeats the position for the third time, you should send a personal message to your opponent saying what move you intend to make next and that this will repeat the position for the third time and you claim a draw. Then send the move with a draw offer.
    If for some reason this does not work out then send a personal message to Russ.

๐Ÿ™‚
  9. Joined
    27 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 17:24
    As far as timing is concerned you must make the claim BEFORE you make the move which repeats the position for the third time, hence my suggestion as above.

๐Ÿ™‚
  10. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 17:59
    i have this problem now. my opponent will not take a draw although we've had repetition for the last 30 moves or so...this could go on forever. the opponent will not even respond to questioning. what's to be done?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 18:09
    Originally posted by runninfiend
    i have this problem now. my opponent will not take a draw although we've had repetition for the last 30 moves or so...this could go on forever. the opponent will not even respond to questioning. what's to be done?
    Contact Russ and give him the game number. He will force draw if you are right.

P-

Can we have the game number???
  12. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 18:36
    I presume it's the game against dscp. That's amazing. I've never seen so many repetitions in a game!

Game 429497

Don't try to contact Russ, as he's away on vacation. But if you send a message to Chrismo, he should be able to do something.

Dave
  13. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '04 22:36
    yup that's the one...i try messaging the guy, but nothing. strange
  14. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    12 Mar '04 00:45
    oh my god. that's all. yikes.
  15. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    13 Mar '04 05:13
    Boy, dscp really does value his/her rating... (which will drop, of course, when he accepts a draw.)

Or maybe dcsp's unwillingness to play a draw has something to do with the remark in his profile???? ๐Ÿ™„

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree