The TO controversy... annul option?

The TO controversy... annul option?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
20 Jun 03

'TO's seem to be raising hackles all over the place again: and this idea won't stop that. But it might take a little pressure off.

Alongside 'TO' (i.e. a second function, not a replacement), consider the option of the waiting player to 'annul' the game (equivalent to the first few moves' 'delete' function).

This way a player who does not want to use the 'TO' to their advantage can 'escape' a game that is going on at a rate they are not happy with, as can happen if they accept a challenge from somebody who has more games on the go than they can really handle.

As per normal with such ideas, 'TO' would need to be the only option for tournament and clan games, as these games HAVE to be resolved: or perhaps 'annul' could be replaced with a 'forced draw' option in those cases? But that's almost another thread, so I'll stop.

T

Moves
20 Jun 03

Great idea. One in fact that has already been implemented I think?! Isn't it possible, when the claim win shield thingy appears, to simply delete the game? Thought this was brought in several months back. Or am I a mistaken and confused T1000?!

T

Moves
20 Jun 03

Originally posted by T1000
Great idea. One in fact that has already been implemented I think?! Isn't it possible, when the claim win shield thingy appears, to simply delete the game? Thought this was brought in several months back. Or am I a mistaken and confused T1000?!

maybe so T1000: I've never clicked the TO button (as I'd hate to do that to somebody), so I've never seen what happens.

I might have considered a delete if I knew that that option was there, hidden behind the ugly facade of TO nastyness! 😀

T

Moves
21 Jun 03

Originally posted by Toe
maybe so T1000: I've never clicked the TO button (as I'd hate to do that to somebody), so I've never seen what happens.

I might have considered a delete if I knew that that option was there, hidden behind the ugly facade of TO nastyness! 😀
It doesn't come up after you've clicked the timeout button - the delete bit comes up next to 'reminder' and the claim win shield I believe, appearing in the usual place it does when the game is less than a few moves old.

T1000

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jun 03

I don't believe the delete option has anything to do with claiming a time-out victory.

It is only there at the start of a new game. If it is used the game will be deleted and will be treated as if it never happened. There will be no record of it in any statistics. After each player has completed a couple of moves the delete option will no longer be available, and the game becomes 'official'.

regards, Marc

T

Moves
21 Jun 03

Originally posted by mwmiller
I don't believe the delete option has anything to do with claiming a time-out victory.

It is only there at the start of a new game. If it is used the game will be deleted and will be treated as if it never happened. There will be no record of it in any statistics. After each player has completed a couple of moves the delete option will no longer be available, and the game becomes 'official'.

regards, Marc
yup: that's what's meant by annul: the game would be like it never happened, aka delete, just a lot longer into the game than turn one or two.

T

Moves
21 Jun 03

regards, Marc
Aaaargh! Am I going nuts?! I thought that when the claim win option appeared, regardless of how many moves into the game (1, 2, 56 etc), there was the additional option to simply delete the game if one didn't want to claim the win. Is this not the case?

T1000

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jun 03
1 edit

Originally posted by T1000
Aaaargh! Am I going nuts?! I thought that when the claim win option appeared, regardless of how many moves into the game (1, 2, 56 etc), there was the additional option to simply delete the game if one didn't want to claim the win. Is this not the case?

T1000
The 'delete' option does not appear with the 'claim victory' option, unless it has been added very recently.

It is only there until the first two moves have been completed. I suppose if a player quit moving after making only one move, and the game timed out they would then both appear, but it would not be a rated game anyway at that point.

Marc

T

Moves
21 Jun 03

The 'delete' option does not appear with the 'claim victory' option, unless it has been added very recently.

Marc
Apologies. I'll shut up now 😳

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jun 03

Hopefully my explanation was correct.

Returning to the original suggestion, adding the option to delete or annul a timed out game instead of claiming victory might be a welcome option for those players who are troubled by claiming a victory.

I don't really believe it will totally solve anything, because those players who currently claim a victory against someone who has indicated they are on vacation will continue to take that option rather than delete the game.

Those who are willing to wait for their opponent to return will most likely be unaffected by adding a 'delete' or 'annul' option. They will just wait as they normally do.

The 'delete T/O game' option would be good for those players who feel bad about picking up a few rating points from claiming a victory on an abandoned game.

The players who abandon a game only because they are losing do not deserve having that game annuled or deleted, in my opinion. They should either play it out or resign, and if they simply quit playing they deserve to lose on a time-out claim.

just my thoughts,

Marc

stitching you up

Moves
23 Jun 03

It is only there until the first two moves have been completed. I suppose if a player quit moving after making only one move, and the game timed out they would then both appear, but it would not be a rated game anyway at that point.

Marc
You are both right, and therefore both wrong 😛

if the game hasn't progressed beyond the first few moves I believe that the "claim victory" icon never appears. But I might be wrong here.

I am more certain of this, as I have just tested it out:
The "delete" option doesn't appear with the "claim victory" icon But if you click delete on another game that still has the delete option you will be taken to a 2nd screen where you can chose the games you wish to delete. Any games that are open for time out can be ticked and therefore deleted in this screen. You don't even have to delete the game you origionally clicked to delete, as you can untick it.

I thank you <takes bow> 😉

T

Moves
23 Jun 03

Originally posted by belgianfreak

I am more certain of this, as I have just tested it out:
The "delete" option doesn't appear with the "claim victory" icon [b]But if
you click delete on another game that still has the delete option you will be taken to a 2nd screen where you can chose the games you wish to delete. Any games that are open for time out can be ticked and ther ...[text shortened]... the game you origionally clicked to delete, as you can untick it.

I thank you <takes bow> 😉[/b]

Thanks for clearing that up Jon - I was sure that there was a way of deleting games that were up for &quot;claim win&quot; (we'll just ignore my wholly incorrect suggested method!)

T1000

T

Moves
23 Jun 03

Originally posted by belgianfreak
You are both right, and therefore both wrong 😛

I thank you <takes bow> 😉
Splendid info: well done sherlock!

T

Moves
25 Jun 03

And I've just seen a somewhat simpler method.

Archive any other game, and on the archive screen, there is a delete box present for the 'claim win' game(s).

Haven't clicked/ticked it to see what it does, but its' name does suggest a TO game can be deleted fairly easily.