1. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 00:26
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a thematic tourney in which the first three or so moves were already made, and use only the most abysmal and wretched opening combinations possible? That way, we could see who plays chess off-the-cuff with skill, who just has a knowledge of opening theory, and, as always, who falls in neither category.
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 09:27
    There's a bizarre form of chess which causes non-standard openings:

Both players place all their pawns as normal.

Then Black places a major piece (his choice) on any backline square, and white must exactly mirror it.

Then white makes a choice and black mirrors until all the pieces are down.

Game on.

3. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 13:111 edit
    Hmmmm.... seems like the 'edit' function has vanished...

But anyway, this kind of strange setup can be done right now using the 'start game from set position' function, as can the option of just swapping the knights and bishops posiitons as suggested in another thread.

my mistake! the edit thing is back: maybe a timeout or something.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 13:22
    Originally posted by Toe
    Hmmmm.... seems like the 'edit' function has vanished...

But anyway, this kind of strange setup can be done right now using the 'start game from set position' function, as can the option of just swapping the knights and bishops posiitons as suggested in another thread.

my mistake! the edit thing is back: maybe a timeout or something.
    I think you only have a one hour period in which to edit your posts.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 13:25
    Before internet and e-mail became available, there was a form of correspondence chess called 'transcendental chess', (probably spelled it wrong).

The starting position was with pawns in their usual position, but the back row was randomly placed, with the only requirement being that the bishops had to end up on opposite colors. The game was played as normal, but there wasn't an option to castle.

It made some interesting situations..

regards, Marc
  6. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 20:39
    Is that similar to Fischer Random Chess? I was just thinking of a tourney which forced abysmal openings.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Sep '03 20:57
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Is that similar to Fischer Random Chess? I was just thinking of a tourney which forced abysmal openings.
    If your question is in response to my post, the answer is no. It's not quite the same. Here's a short paragraph I found using a search engine.

"Transcendental Chess (TC) was invented in 1981 by Maxwell Lawrence. It inspired Fischer Random Chess which is similar but has much fewer starting positions. TC is a chess variant where the back rows of pieces is set up in a random position and the bishops are on opposite colored squares. There is no castling but there is the option of transposing two pieces on the back row only on the first move as long as the bishops remain on opposite colored squares. In Fischer Random Chess the back rows are mirror images but in TC the setup of black and white is usually different. This can create inequalities in the position. "

Hope that answers your question...🙂

Marc
  8. Joined
    19 Oct '02
    Moves
    18 Sep '03 17:51
    I'd love to play in a Transcendental Chess Tourney on RHP.Wish someone would start a tournament
  9. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    19 Sep '03 10:08
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    neat idea, but I think you might have difficulty getting white & balck to have equally apauling positions, leading to either white or black (depending on which position was least pants) being the winning side in 90% of games.

Also, I think that whites advantage of moving first would be magnified, as whites 1st move could take major advantage of any weakness in black, leaving black on the major defensive from the start.
  10. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Sep '03 17:35
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    neat idea, but I think you might have difficulty getting white & balck to have equally apauling positions, leading to either white or black (depending on which position was least pants) being the winning side in 90% of games.

Also, I think that whites advantage of moving first would be magnified, as whites 1st move could take major advantage of any weakness in black, leaving black on the major defensive from the start.
    Is that a problem? Since each pair plays both ways round in a tournament you would merely have to make sure that both games had the same setup wouldnt you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree