1. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    24 Nov '04 03:55
    I dont know if this has been brought up before but....

ive been trying to export my games into a database, and have noticed that in thematic tournament games the pgn does not include the opening moves, thus causing an error when importing. are there any plans to resolve this issue or is this something that (likely) only i care about?
  2. West Virginia
    Moves
    24 Nov '04 07:331 edit
    I see what you mean. I also load my games into a database, Scid.

It seems that RHP doesn't add the FEN tag for a starting position. Since the FEN is all over the site anyway, it seems that would eliminate some of the work in correcting it. RHP must store the starting position for the game somewhere, because if you go to the beginning of a thematic game you end up at the thematic starting position, not the normal starting position.

Does this effect set piece games as well?

It seems like a little code pulling in what's already stored under the condition of a non-normal starting position, and placing it in a PGN FEN tag after the Result tag would be all it would need.

Of course this may be a really simplistic view of what it would take.
  3. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    24 Nov '04 08:39
    Originally posted by pendejo
    I dont know if this has been brought up before but....

ive been trying to export my games into a database, and have noticed that in thematic tournament games the pgn does not include the opening moves, thus causing an error when importing. are there any plans to resolve this issue or is this something that (likely) only i care about?
    Here's what I do in these cases,I copy the pgn from the mail to notepad and add the moves,then save to database.You only have to add them once,after the first game,just delete the gamemoves in notepad (except the ones reaching the thematic position),then just copy&paste the other mails.Simple but effective 🙂
  4. West Virginia
    Moves
    24 Nov '04 10:03
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    Here's what I do in these cases,I copy the pgn from the mail to notepad and add the moves,then save to database.You only have to add them once,after the first game,just delete the gamemoves in notepad (except the ones reaching the thematic position),then just copy&paste the other mails.Simple but effective 🙂
    Do you have to re-number the moves? The PGN lists the 1st move in the thematic as move 1, even though several moves have already been made to get to the position.
  5. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    24 Nov '04 18:262 edits
    Originally posted by Drax946
    Do you have to re-number the moves? The PGN lists the 1st move in the thematic as move 1, even though several moves have already been made to get to the position.
    Yeah,that's the bad part 🙁
    But still,if it's only your own games,it's not all that much work.
    Actually,I'm gonna try to not re-number the moves,see if it works.I expect not,but you never know 🙂

EDIT: Ok,I tried,it doesn't work.Strange enough,if you simply do not number the moves,then fritz accepts it.Winboard and chessbase,however,do not.So,unless you have fritz,you'll have to re-number the moves.Or just replay the games,of course 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree