1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Dec '09 12:21
    Please see site announcements forum for more information on this error.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '09 17:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    Please see site announcements forum for more information on this error.
    Russ, I'm angry. 😠

Exactly this has happened once before! Your harddisk blew and a lot of games' histories are incomplete.
    Didn't you learn anything the last time? Once well, twice amateurish I would say. I'm happy you are not responsible at the data system of a nuclear plant.

20 games of mine lacks history now. None of the games started after the novemeber 11th has any history! That's 20 out of 67 games I have in progress!
    I have a hard job to reconstruct some of them, others will for ever be lost. Ever of the 18 lost games have I to document, move by move, manually to at lesast have the endings intact. This is not what I pay a subscription fee for!

I would like you to ansewr the following questions:
    (1) What went wrong? Don't you have a backup disk? Why don't you invest enough money in your security?
    (2) What will you do to scure that this will never happen again?
    (3) How do you proceed now? A third of my games gone, how do you repay me/us for this? A third of a year of subscription fee repayed?

This brings badwill on RHP. What are you going to do to restore this badwill? Can we ever trust the system anymore?

I want you to see this complaint seriously !!! 😠
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Dec '09 20:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Russ, I'm angry. 😠

Exactly this has happened once before! Your harddisk blew and a lot of games' histories are incomplete.
    Didn't you learn anything the last time? Once well, twice amateurish I would say. I'm happy you are not responsible at the data system of a nuclear plant.

20 games of mine lacks history now. None of the games started after the ...[text shortened]... an we ever trust the system anymore?

I want you to see this complaint seriously !!! 😠
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/myhome/termsofservice.php

Section 2 covers this.

As they say sh(it) happens. We have to accept this in the world of the internet and move on. Its no life threatening after all.

A far worse scenario is that Russ gets really pissed off and decides to shut down the site for good, and then where would we all be?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Dec '09 23:461 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/myhome/termsofservice.php

Section 2 covers this.

As they say sh(it) happens. We have to accept this in the world of the internet and move on. Its no life threatening after all.

A far worse scenario is that Russ gets really pissed off and decides to shut down the site for good, and then where would we all be?
    That might possibly be the smartest thing you ever said in your life at RHP, even if you are looking for brownie points! 😛
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 10:06
    As it is now is *not* the final situation, we have backups to merge in later. I don't want to set the expectations about anything right now - data has been lost that can't be recovered, and I certainly can't change that.

We do have backups, of course, and live replication as a live backup. Unfortunately, in the middle of the night under stress, something was overlooked by 2 people and the result is we lost some move history. Just losing one or two moves though is enough to invalidate the entire game history.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 11:11
    As it is now is *not* the final situation, we have backups to merge in later. I don't want to set the expectations about anything right now - data has been lost that can't be recovered, and I certainly can't change that.

We do have backups, of course, and live replication as a live backup. Unfortunately, in the middle of the night under stress, something w ...[text shortened]... story. Just losing one or two moves though is enough to invalidate the entire game history.
    But Russ, this has happened before! Experience is there to avoid such a mishap! Yet it happened again!

Will it happen again? And again? What do you do to avoid these mishaps in the future? Can I rely that this will not happaen again? In short - Is RHP trustworthy?Or do I have to in paralell document every single move I do in the future?

I say that this 'mishap' has lowered the good-will of RHP. Once, well. Twice, no! Are there serious, professional security thinking behind the databases of RHP?
    What will happen next? That the information of who paid their subscription fee and who has not?

Russ, please be open. Show us what exactly was happening. Why has the same error occurred twice?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 19:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 19:181 edit
    It was two very different issues. It just had the same result.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 20:19
    Reveal Hidden Content
    frothing at the mouth mode
    How come the same result occurred twice 😠
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 05:24
    I'm still angry 😠

This gives RHP bad reputation. How will Russ give us compensation for this? He doesn't have to, but I don't have to like RHP either!

Russ - you don't give answers, you hide behind short messages like "It was not the same this time". Hello! The result is the same!

You have behaved very unprofessionally this time! 😠
  11. home
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 12:30

12. Joined
    20 Nov '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 14:42
    Could you start up the histories of games now? (while you're working out whether or not you can retrieve the game histories) Sure, I would like to see the game histories from the beginning, but it also helps to at least see the last few moves.

Thanks.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 15:03

14. The Smoke
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 20:031 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm still angry 😠

This gives RHP bad reputation. How will Russ give us compensation for this? Russ - you ....
    You have behaved very unprofessionally this time! 😠
    it's interesting to see how little (arguably so, one may argue) it takes to jump on the different bandwagon. You've been a rather outspoken supporter of Russ in other forums/threads (like, "it's Russ call.." , "..let Russ decide.." etc ) which is fine, of course, but now it seems you've fallen out with RHP.

Frankly, I don't see where exactly Russ/RHPs' "unprofessionalism" lies - how would RHP community benefit from having a detailed explanation of what happened, how much pounds had been invested in a DR server etc...
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 21:15
    Originally posted by Renars
    it's interesting to see how little (arguably so, one may argue) it takes to jump on the different bandwagon. You've been a rather outspoken supporter of Russ in other forums/threads (like, "it's Russ call.." , "..let Russ decide.." etc ) which is fine, of course, but now it seems you've fallen out with RHP.

Frankly, I don't see where exactly Russ/RHPs' " ...[text shortened]... xplanation of what happened, how much pounds had been invested in a DR server etc...
    One foul-up is excusable. Two is not. If he didn't learn anything from the first one to avoid the other one, then it certainly will be a third one. If he doesn't present what was going on means that he's hiding something.

We are his customers, we pay him, he owes us this. Whenever I pay something to someone I expect to get quality. I don't think we've got quality. Therefore I'm disappointed. His quiteness gets me angry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree