1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 20:59
    Sometimes I like to know what country my opponent is from. If he doesn't mention it in the profile, I go to the page with the long list of tiny flags, which I can hardly see and try to identify the flag. Isn't there a way of linking the flag to the country's name, so that you just have to click on the flag in the profile or is writing code for this too cumbersome. I don't know anything about computer languages. But I have found out that there are hundreds of countries with red, white, and blue stripes and a few countries that don't have any flag (God bless 'em).
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 21:23
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Sometimes I like to know what country my opponent is from. If he doesn't mention it in the profile, I go to the page with the long list of tiny flags, which I can hardly see and try to identify the flag. Isn't there a way of linking the flag to the country's name, so that you just have to click on the flag in the profile or is writing code for this too c ...[text shortened]... ith red, white, and blue stripes and a few countries that don't have any flag (God bless 'em).
    What country doesn't have a flag?
  3. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 21:391 edit
    This has already been sorted in the FAQ. All the flags are listed with the country named next to them.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=flags
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 22:07
    Yea, Exy. That's my whole point. Why can't you just click on the flag in the profile. Why do you have to go on a faq list.
    What countries don't have flags. These are the few with blanks next to their names: Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo. I can't believe Bolivia doesn't have a flag. Now the Democratic Republic of the Congo, I would think might not have a flag because they're too busy being democratic and Republican, but their neighbor, the Congo, doesn't have a flag listed either. And, by the way, is it necessary to have two Congoes, especially when they're right next to each other. Couldn 't they make up and call themselves United Democratic Republic of the Greater Congo and then they could get a flag. I dunno. All seems political to me.
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 22:57
    Each flag image should have ALT text entry as a very basic element of web-site accessibility. This should be true of all site images in fact.

Identification of flag country through a tooltip would be splendid while we're at it...
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 22:57
    Yea, Exy. That's my whole point. Why can't you just click on the flag in the profile. Why do you have to go on a faq list.
    What countries don't have flags. These are the few with blanks next to their names: Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo. I can't believe Bolivia doesn't have a flag. Now the Democratic Repub ...[text shortened]... ublic of the Greater Congo and then they could get a flag. I dunno. All seems political to me.
    All those countries have flags. RHP just doesn't have them available yet.
  7. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '04 23:08
    At first i thought some countries have an all white flag because that's all you see next to their name. Then I realized that RHP hadn't caught up to all the images. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an all white flag. In case of emergencies you could just use a bedsheet or large handkerchief to express your patriotism. Of course, there are disadvantages. For example, if you waved the white flag of surrender your opponents might think you're preparing an attack.
    To get back to the point, that list of those teeny flags, even on a large screen like mine, is annoying.
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 22:42
    I still like going to Mooney's Flag Detective and hunting them down. http://www.flags.av.org/flags/

The flags are larger and it may actually be faster looking them up there. Of course, a mouse-over pop-up text box with the county name would be more convenient.
  9. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 23:16
    Thanks for the tip, Coletti. I'll check out the site.
  10. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 23:31
    Amazing. I check out the flag site given by Coletti and I find a new word: "vexillology" the study of banners and flags. Also, there is a North American Vexillogical Association (NAVA) which are holding their annual get-together in Indianapolis September 8-10. This will be their 38th convention. Long may their banner fly!
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jul '04 18:58
    Originally posted by Toe
    Each flag image should have ALT text entry as a very basic element of web-site accessibility. This should be true of all site images in fact.

Identification of flag country through a tooltip would be splendid while we're at it...
    Ideally, yes.

But, you compromise for efficiency. This is very much the case with the alt text on the flags.

-Russ
  12. Footscrazy
    Moves
    21 Jul '04 09:05
    Of course, there are disadvantages. For example, if you waved the white flag of surrender your opponents might think you're preparing an attack.
    ...but conversely, when you're readying for the attack..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree