Three move draw rule-- suggested solution

Three move draw rule-- suggested solution

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
06 Feb 03
2 edits

I think it's important for the server to recognize that a draw has occurred when the same position has occurred three times, as well as when there is insufficient material to mate.

However, Russ has said that having the program constantly checking to see if these conditions were fulfilled would be rough on the server.

I would resolve this problem this way:

Have a button on the game screen, next to the offer draw button, labeled "claim draw." If a player thinks the game is a draw for either of these reasons, he can press the button, and the server will then check for threefold repetition and for insufficient material. If the either of these conditions are satisfied, the game ends immediately in a draw. If, on the other hand, neither condition applies, the claiming player receives a message saying "It's not a draw, you moron!" or something like that, and that player must then make a move.

With regard to the threefold repetition rule, this would be completely in keeping with tournament rules, where threefold repetition is not an automatic draw, but must be noticed, and claimed, by one of the players.

Objections?

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
06 Feb 03

I can't think of any...but then I probably know not of what I speak.

Lightly Salted...

Moves
06 Feb 03

Sounds like a plan to me! 😀

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
07 Feb 03

see this:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=92

j

Moves
08 Feb 03

Ah--- I see you suggested something similar.

I have to disagree with one thing you said in that thread, though-- you said that not having the three move rule is no big deal because you can always keep the game going until the 50 move rule kicks in. But that's inaccurate, because the threefold repetition is not always forced-- that is, a player can fall into it accidentally while there is still play in the position.

So I think the lack of the rule is a big deal, because it disallows draws that a player is entitled to claim, with no assurance that the game will not then end in a win for the opponent. This probably won't happen much, but it really shouldn't happen at all.

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
08 Feb 03

Originally posted by jgvaccaro
Ah--- I see you suggested something similar.

I have to disagree with one thing you said in that thread, though-- you said that not having the three move rule is no big deal because you can always keep the game going until the 50 move rule kicks in. But that's inaccurate, because the threefold repetition is not always forced-- that is, a player can fal ...[text shortened]... win for the opponent. This probably won't happen much, but it really shouldn't happen at all.
a) why didn't you post your reply at the right pace? (I think because this forum is the rigt place to discuss this!) 😉

b) You are completly right when you disagree with me: I do so now too!😕 😵

c) Chess is a game with difficult rules and rules are very important: so let's respect them! all rules.
Right?!