1. Joined
    29 Dec '14
    Moves
    13 Jul '21 21:06
    threefold repetition is not working here

In chess, the threefold repetition rule states that a player may claim a draw if the same position occurs three times. ... The game is not automatically drawn if a position occurs for the third time – one of the players, on their turn, must claim the draw with the arbiter.
  2. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    13 Jul '21 21:36
    @DickKopf
    Claim draw will be available when the same position with the same player's turn appears for the third time. Check your premises.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 02:14
    I think a threefold repetition is one of the situations here where you will need to claim the draw when you submit your move. If you have the correct conditions but do not claim the draw, it will not be automatically awarded. If you think you have the draw, just go ahead and claim it. If you are wrong, your claim is ignored and the game continues normally. The "claim draw" button is only present when it is your turn to move.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 05:58
    Thank you. Okay, we'll see. Draw offered. Check out the game:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/play-chess.php?gameid=14405527&cbqsid=31290
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 09:161 edit
    @dickkopf said
    Thank you. Okay, we'll see. Draw offered. Check out the game:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/play-chess.php?gameid=14405527&cbqsid=31290
    Game 14405527

When I count the position has been reached two times.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '14
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 11:19
    @Ponderable
    The chess partner didn't make a move, so I took the time out. It's a shame, I really wanted to test the system.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 16:01
    @dickkopf said
    @Ponderable
    The chess partner didn't make a move, so I took the time out. It's a shame, I really wanted to test the system.
    I can help you to test it.
    I will send you a an unrated game.
    We will take turns moving just one knight back and forth to the same two squares. On each of your moves, click 'claim draw' then submit your move.
    The first two repetitions nothing should happen, but on the third repetion of positons the game should become drawn.
    I will now send a game.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '14
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 14:18
    @mwmiller
    Thank you for your commitment. Thanks to you, I got it right now. After the third same move, you must click "Claim Draw" and not "Offer Draw". That was my fault.
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 16:35
    @DickKopf
    No problem.
    With the 'offer draw', that can be sent at any time with a move, and it is just a mutually agreed draw if both players want it.

When you 'claim draw', that does not require any action from your opponent, it is granted only when the conditions are correct. As far as I know, that means '3 time repetition of the same position', 'insufficient material to mate', or the '50 move rule'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree