1. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 21:26
    When I'm looking at a game, I have to scroll down to see the time controls. There seems to be enough horizontal space beside the players' names and flags for a modified time-controls window, e.g.,

Player1 (flag) 1d 23h 45m remaining (7d timebank)
    Player2 (flag) (7d timebank)

The overall time controls (e.g. 3 days per move, 7 days timebank) could go up in the game-description block, in a second column--there seems to be plenty of horizontal space up there too.

Moving this information "above the fold" would be pretty easy without cluttering the screen--there's lots of nice clear space up there just waiting to be used 🙂
  2. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 21:30
    Whoops, HTML ate the space between Player2 and the timebank control... I wanted to line the two timebanks up neatly, but forgot that excess whitespace just gets eaten 🙂
  3. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 11:31
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    When I'm looking at a game, I have to scroll down to see the time controls. There seems to be enough horizontal space beside the players' names and flags for a modified time-controls window, e.g.,

Player1 (flag) 1d 23h 45m remaining (7d timebank)
    Player2 (flag) (7d timebank)

The overall time controls (e.g. 3 ...[text shortened]... cluttering the screen--there's lots of nice clear space up there just waiting to be used 🙂
    Remember, different people have different screen resolutions. The whitespace you see might not be there for everyone else.
  4. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 03:54
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Remember, different people have different screen resolutions. The whitespace you see might not be there for everyone else.
    Well, I don't want to start an argument about something I have next to no information on, though I imagine that most RHP players these days have at least 1Kx768 available.

Point taken, though... I forgot that board size is an option, and that not everybody chooses the small board (my preference). Still, I wonder if there's a way to rearrange things so that the time controls can appear above the fold. Having to scroll to see something as vital to the game as the time controls is annoying.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 08:46
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    Well, I don't want to start an argument about something I have next to no information on, though I imagine that most RHP players these days have at least 1Kx768 available.

Point taken, though... I forgot that board size is an option, and that not everybody chooses the small board (my preference). Still, I wonder if there's a way to rearrange things so t ...[text shortened]... fold. Having to scroll to see something as vital to the game as the time controls is annoying.
    True, but I'll bet there's still a few annoying people stilling viewing the site in 800 x 600 and IE5. God knows I get enough of those loonies on my own sites.

Russ has mentioned that he's planning to launch a redesign of the site interface in Feb 2011. Maybe if you suggest it to him (make a post about it in Side ideas of use the Send Feedback option), he'll include it in the redesign.

Or, if you know how to, you could even write your own custom CSS file or browser plugin to move the time controls yourself.
  6. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 12:10
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    True, but I'll bet there's still a few annoying people stilling viewing the site in 800 x 600 and IE5. God knows I get enough of those loonies on my own sites.

Russ has mentioned that he's planning to launch a redesign of the site interface in Feb 2011. Maybe if you suggest it to him (make a post about it in Side ideas of use the Send Feedback option), ...[text shortened]... ld even write your own custom CSS file or browser plugin to move the time controls yourself.
    Doh! Now why didn't I think of that? 🙂 I do this stuff for a living... but I've never used user CSS to modify somebody else's site. I'll have to give it a try.

And I should have posted this in Site Ideas to begin with.

Thanks!
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 12:41
    It is an interesting idea that caught my attention because I just fixed the bug "timebank not shown correctly for unstarted games - no depletion shown", and I made some minor changes to board view time controls display.

Having just set up a worst case though, assuming a 1024px horizontal res, a large board, a non-sub player (so they see an ad) with an opponent with a long name leaves very little space for additional information. I'll definitely consider it during the interface refresh though.
  8. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 11:21
    Originally posted by Russ
    It is an interesting idea that caught my attention because I just fixed the bug "timebank not shown correctly for unstarted games - no depletion shown", and I made some minor changes to board view time controls display.

Having just set up a worst case though, assuming a 1024px horizontal res, a large board, a non-sub player (so they see an ad) with an ...[text shortened]... for additional information. I'll definitely consider it during the interface refresh though.
    Hi Russ! Thanks for considering this (and thanks for a very entertaining site).

One possibility to save some horizontal space would be to make it a table with just the times beside the players' names and the identifying info in the headers, e.g.

| Left to move | Timebank |
    01d 23h 45 m | 06d 05h 04m |
    (empty space, he's not on move)|7d |

Of course this looks ugly (I can't line things up properly), but you get the idea... trade vertical space for horizontal. Don't know how much that will help in the worst case.... but maybe enough?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by Russ

Having just set up a worst case though, assuming a 1024px horizontal res, a large board, a non-sub player (so they see an ad) with an ...[text shortened]... for additional information. I'll definitely consider it during the interface refresh though.
    Why not use the hover feature?
    When hover over the avatar, then all the stat info appears.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 16:39
    I'm not too keen on this new design:

(1) The left column is to wide. It was better before.
    (2) Is there another font used on the poster text? It was better before.

Info on each posting header - nice.
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 18:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm not too keen on this new design:

(1) The left column is to wide. It was better before.
    (2) Is there another font used on the poster text? It was better before.

Info on each posting header - nice.
    (2) Looks like it's changed from Arial to Verdana.

(1)That column hasn't been changed. It doesn't have a set width, it stretches to fit in the longest line of text in the entire column (usually the "Location" line). The only reason it might look longer is that characters in the Verdana font are slightly wider than in the old Arial one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree