1. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    11 May '04 12:21
    The most important purpose of the timebank is to be able to go on holiday without getting timed out. So I feel that the timebank should suffice.

But ... I DO think that the timebank is often chosen rather small (in tournaments). For example 7 days. I don't know about you, but I do go on holiday for longer periods then this!

I choose to enter such tournaments anyway, because there are hardly any tourneys with 14 or 21 day timebank.
  2. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    11 May '04 15:09
    I'm planning to go away on vacation in a couple of months. I figure that almost all my games have a 3-day TO with 7-day TB. If I move just before I leave in all my games, then I should have at least 10 days before any timeouts occur. I will, of course, inform all of my opponent of what I'm doing and in the tournament games, there is still the 2-day grace period before I get eliminated, so if worse comes to worst (AND I have understanding opponents) then I have 12 days to find a computer with net access so that I can move. I hope it doesn't come down to that, but the alternative is not to enter any tournaments ever. I normally check my games at least once per day, even on most weekends and holidays, so aside from a legitimate vacation, I don't expect a problem.

But I do have to say that the 3/7 tournies are a little on the shakey side for anyone who ever does go on vacation. I understand why the time controls are what they are. I have one game going on now with a 14/0 time control and my opponent almost never moves in less than a week. The game has been going on for 3 months and we're only on move 22. At the present rate, that game could stretch on for another 3 months easily. That would be far too long for a reasonable tournament. OTOH, I don't think the TB is the primary contributor to long games. I would not at all mind seeing most tournaments go to 3/14 or so. I think the 3-day TO is important so that players who do not have weekend access can play, and a 14-day TB will allow anyone to have a full two-weeks of vacation once, even if they cannot get web access while they are away. Alas, I suspect that there will be some people who would abuse it, but I really don't want to give abuse prevention too much priority over allowing reasonable and legitimate protection.

Paul
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    11 May '04 21:03
    Originally posted by adje
    The most important purpose of the timebank is to be able to go on holiday without getting timed out. So I feel that the timebank should suffice.

But ... I DO think that the timebank is often chosen rather small (in tournaments). For example 7 days. I don't know about you, but I do go on holiday for longer periods then this!

I choose to enter such tournaments anyway, because there are hardly any tourneys with 14 or 21 day timebank.
    You filthy rich Dutch guy! 😵 😀 😉

O.
  4. Joined
    21 Oct '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 03:58
    Originally posted by historybites
    An opponent sent me a rather pathetic email after I timed him/her out in the grand split tournament. Though I can't positively remember whether I sent him a reminder, usually I do in such circumstances, and assume I did in this case. That's rather besides the point anyhow. At any rate, I object to their tenor, their insinuation that I was losing both ga ...[text shortened]... m wrong by timing them out, though it was entirely within my rights. Any feedback/suggestions?
    I take all the skulls I can find and I currently havee about 25 oppopents in time trouble.I look for skulls many times a day.It is just like over the board chess in this sense.Your flag drops and u lose whether u are ahead or not.Hope this helps.
  5. UK
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 08:42
    Originally posted by yelmboys
    Hope this helps.
    Maybe it does, but since the thread is five years old I'd hope that both parties would have gotten over the upset by now, tragic though being timed-out may be.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 20:05
    I like getting a crybaby message when I time someone out, it makes my day when they whine about it.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 16:59
    Originally posted by yelmboys
    I take all the skulls I can find and I currently havee about 25 oppopents in time trouble.I look for skulls many times a day.It is just like over the board chess in this sense.Your flag drops and u lose whether u are ahead or not.Hope this helps.
    Took you 5 years to answer?

P-
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 19:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree