1. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:08
    Russ

Just have a feeling that you might just be going a bit overboard with the symbols. I can see things like the little grey dot and the green dot etc having to be explained over and over again. They are great for us active users who keep up to speed with these sort of things but must be off putting for newbies. You can still keep the symbols in many cases but in areas where there's room what's wrong with good old fashioned text? Something like 'Online' or 'Moved in last 10 minutes' with a tick or cross next to it would be more user friendly for example.

Just a thought.

Rhymester
  2. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:18
    Or even turning our stars green or something.
  3. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:18
    I do like them however. I'm not sure if it's too much or not.
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:22
    I disagree! I think that text would be too cluttered and long as opposed to a little dot eh? And it's not that cluttered even for the n00bs. Don't change it. All these features are good, it adds to the site! WHOOOO RUSS! ๐Ÿ˜€
  5. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:32
    I think I have to agree with Tony. I like looking at my game list a quickly seeing who is moving. I vote we keep it. ๐Ÿ˜€
  6. Standard memberOgey
    The Veggies Clan
    Richmond, VA, USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:341 edit
    All that's needed is an explanation of the symbols in the "Help me!" section. That would be sufficient enough to explain to most people.

I looked but couldn't find anything.

Or maybe a link to an explanation page for each symbol, just like all of the stars have a link that explains how to subscribe.

7. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:41
    I noticed that if you hover your mouse over it it stated 'Active'... maybe if it stated 'Currently Moving' it would help people ?
  8. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:42
    Yes keep the symbols but if you read my post I suggested text 'in the areas where there's room'.

๐Ÿ™‚

Rhymester
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 21:44
    Originally posted by ChessNut
    I noticed that if you hover your mouse over it it stated 'Active'... maybe if it stated 'Currently Moving' it would help people ?
    How about it says "might be active"

I had no problem figuring out what it means.. just cuz a person is online doesn't mean they are going to make a move with you anyway... I have lots of games I let simmer on the stove.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 22:381 edit
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Jul '03 22:40
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    Russ

Just have a feeling that you might just be going a bit overboard with the symbols. I can see things like the little grey dot and the green dot etc having to be explained over and over again. They are great for us active users who keep up to speed with these sort of things but must be off putting for newbies. You can still keep the symbols in many ...[text shortened]... ick or cross next to it would be more user friendly for example.

Just a thought.

Rhymester
    I agree, to an extent. That is why the first icon I uploaded was scrapped immediately. It looked very cluttered. No more icons will be appearing attached to the player name, that is for sure.

On the profile page, a text explanation of the new 'move frequency' icon would certainly help. (And there is space)

-Russ
  12. Standard memberPK
    surf bum
    in the tube
    Moves
    12 Jul '03 02:55
    I think you should add a new symbol at random to keep us all guessing๐Ÿ˜‰

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree