1. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 04:19
    I recently played in Canopus Mini Banded Threesomes 1200-1250. I assumed that the other players would have ratings in the range 1200-1250, but one of my opponents was over 1400.
    This doesn't seem fair. Is there any check on rating when people enter a tournament?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 08:39
    Originally posted by Infield Fly
    I recently played in Canopus Mini Banded Threesomes 1200-1250. I assumed that the other players would have ratings in the range 1200-1250, but one of my opponents was over 1400.
    This doesn't seem fair. Is there any check on rating when people enter a tournament?
    There is a check when a player enters a tournament. But nothing hinders that he can improve his rating over time. So can you, so can every one.

But of course there are problems with this. How do you propose a solution of this problem?
  3. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 17:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    There is a check when a player enters a tournament. But nothing hinders that he can improve his rating over time. So can you, so can every one.

But of course there are problems with this. How do you propose a solution of this problem?
    Off the cuff idea: Still use rating when player enters, but the rating has to be within 100 points when tournament starts. Problem with that is - what happens the the spot in the tournament, and what happens to the player who wanted to play and is now ineligable, and it is probably too late to enter at another level.

This is probably something where there is no good solution, but doesnt happen that much. Just something we have to accept, and play the game/tournament purely for the enjoyment of playing - not overly concerened with winning the whole thing and if it is 'fair'. This is just a game, and is not the Olympics.

Players ratings dont usually change that quickly, but a new player's may.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree