Tournaments

DonationSkipSlot
Help 14 Apr '03 01:45
  1. Joined
    27 Aug '02
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 01:451 edit
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but if a tournament grouping is mathematically complete, why hasn't the next round started? The reference is the one hundred to one tournament in group 13, all other groupings appear to be complete. Group 13 is mathematically complete and is the only one holding up the next round. I'm sure the same scenario can be found for other tournaments as well.

-Bob
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 11:20
    There's always been a policy that new rounds don't start until all the games in the current round have been completed.

I think it's about time this policy was abandoned. The tournaments are taking too long, mainy because of a few slow players, who are not going to progress to the next round anyway.

I'm involved in 4 tourneys which are being held up in this way. It would be nice if we could finish at least one of them this year.

-Dave

3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 23:57
    I agree. The hundred to one tournament has been going on for five months now, and it is still in the first round. That is ridiculous. Who wants to join a tournament that is going to take two years to complete? Perhaps there should be a three month limit on each round, with all unresolved games being declared draws at that point.
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    15 Apr '03 00:25
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Perhaps there should be a three month limit on each round, with all unresolved games being declared draws at that point.
    The problem with that suggestion is that it would only encourage people who are losing to drag out their games, as they would be rewarded with an automatic draw after 3 months!

But why not start the next rounds for tournaments in which all the group winners are known? The stragglers can continue to play their slow games if they wish, but not at everyone else's expense.

-Dave
  5. UK
    Moves
    18 Apr '03 08:26
    Originally posted by David Tebb

But why not start the next rounds for tournaments in which all the group winners are known? The stragglers can continue to play their slow games if they wish, but not at everyone else's expense.

-Dave
    that sounds like an excellent suggestion
  6. Standard memberpadfoot
    Discombobulating...
    cloning vat
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 19:37
    i think that after, say, three months, the game is checked and the player with the most points - Queen=9, rook=5, knight + bishop=3,
    pawn=1 - wins. that way, there it is only a draw if the players are realy even. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree