1. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 13:33
    I've read the posts on how to get a picture, ie: put the url address in the box, which I have and all I get is a blank box with a red bit and a cross, i went to avatar chose an image put the url in my box and nothing where am I going wrong like, please be precise but also patiant as my computer skills as I'm sure you've already worked out are useless......help thanks.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 13:40
    Originally posted by ronoc
    I've read the posts on how to get a picture, ie: put the url address in the box, which I have and all I get is a blank box with a red bit and a cross, i went to avatar chose an image put the url in my box and nothing where am I going wrong like, please be precise but also patiant as my computer skills as I'm sure you've already worked out are useless......help thanks.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=36237

D
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 13:441 edit
    What is the current location/URL of the image you are trying to use?

edit>> Also go to the link Ragnorak shows in the previous post. It has a good explanation of how it works.
  4. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 13:58
    http://www.finitechess.com/graphics/avatar-chess8.jpg
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:033 edits
    http://www.finitechess.com/graphics/avatar-chess8.jpg
    I went to that location and saw the image.
    The problem may be that it is too large. Avatars are supposed to be 50x50, and that one is 80x80.
    (right click on the actual image and then look at the 'properties'😉

I just temporarily put that URL into my own profile settings box to test it and it came up just fine, but slightly distorted because of the dimensions of your graphic. The forum and profile settings pages specify the dimensions just above the URL box.

Stick with those dimensions and it should work for you.
  6. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:25
    how do I get the image to 50x50, or to make it easier, where can I find images that are of the correct size, by the way mwmiller thanks for your help.
  7. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:28
    By the way I'm using a mac it doesn't have that double click mouse , i don't know what the alternative is.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:351 edit
    how do I get the image to 50x50, or to make it easier, where can I find images that are of the correct size, by the way mwmiller thanks for your help.
    I'm not sure I can help you with changing the size. You would need to download the image, modify it and then upload it again. If you are just linking to someone else's site, you probably won't be able to upload the modified image.

Maybe others can jump in and give you some links to other avatar graphics that will work. (or try a google search for avatar graphics)

regards, Marc
  9. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:42
    thanks again.
  10. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 15:34
    I don't think the size will stop the image showing, it will just mean it doesn't quite look right.

Maybe you're not copying/pasting the URL correctly into this site. Make sure you don't have any spaces or quote marks or anything like that when you enter it here.
  11. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 16:11
    AT LAST! well thankyou to all of you,as you can see i got there in the end, and yes it was as simple as typing in the url correctly.......Doh!
  12. Standard memberMonty348
    Always the Student
    Colorado
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 03:26
    Posting this to see if my forum avatar displays properly. Hope I'm not being a newbie/nerd and using up bandwidth unecessarily.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree