1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    12 Apr '04 22:00
    Hi Russ/chrisbo/all

I was just wondering what the format of U chess will be? By that i mean will it be a java applet, or will it be plain http as here?

The reason i ask is that i play at work behind a firewall (my company is really trying to create the 'securist' intranet this planet has ever seen) and real time chess so far has been impossible.

I know why it blocks java applets as an open port is required, creating obvious security risks, will Uchess have this problem??

Just a thought, i know that quite a few people who play here started cos thay had no choice so to speak (no offense intended, i, like a lot of people never considered playing corresspondence before i was forced to) It would be nice if this was the first site to remove security issues, i could imagine a few billion people are looking for a site just like that 😉
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Apr '04 14:06
    Interesting you should ask this..

It uses a Flash client, and it should use port 80, so it should therefore work through your firewall.

Not long to wait now. I'm just polishing the alpha version right now - and then it needs a good public test - so I'll keep you posted.

I hope to be live in some form by tomorrow!!! 😲 (But don't hold me to that)

-Russ
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Apr '04 22:32
    Hey thats great news 🙂 I do twelve hour nights so if u need a test guinea pig type dude, im ur mouse (just no needles, they make my queesey)😲
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Apr '04 23:591 edit
    Well, it was all going OK, until I decided to do some final tidying up of the code - which resulted in me breaking something. So, tomorrow may have been a little optimistic, we shall see.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Apr '04 03:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    Well, it was all going OK, until I decided to do some final tidying up of the code - which resulted in me breaking something. So, tomorrow may have been a little optimistic, we shall see.

-Russ
    lol, i used to programme for ZDNet, something always keeps u up late 😉
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Apr '04 17:372 edits
    Very nearly ready to roll now - tomorrow I expect. (Tomorrow never comes... 😉 )

-Russ
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    16 Apr '04 11:15
    why is it called "uchess"?
    if the answer will be on the website, I'll check it out there! 🙂
    th
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Apr '04 17:36
    I know it sounds like excuses now...but I was just about to go live when I realised I was missing a vital tool. Half a day researching on the web, and getting very frustrated, I decided to write my own. (The great thing about being a software engineer - if you cant find any software to download, you just 'knock one together'.)

Anyway, nothing should stand in my way now short of being able to buy the license for the server software (ouch). As it is, I have a developer license only - so only 5 people would be able to connect at one time, and therefore, only 2 games could happen concurrently. I think I might need more than that...

-Russ

9. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 17:54
    so plans are that it does not go online within the next days? 🙁
    th
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 18:32
    I REALLY should not say this, as there is still a few things I need to do, but if I have a clear day tomorrrow, it is going to happen then....

-Russ

[How stupid will I look tomorrow when something else holds me up...]
  11. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 12:44
    as the index disapeared, I guess you are working on it right now 😀
    cool!
    I am very curious!
    Unfortunately I have to go home, so I can't have a look at the brandnew page if it comes out within the next hours.
    [or perhaps I have luck and you make it availible next wekk(end)] 🙂
    th

(this post should more or less just remind all future uchess fans, that there is goning on something and that they should visit this site)
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 20:231 edit
    Amazingly, this is now finally live.

-Russ

13. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 21:24
    Originally posted by Russ
    Amazingly, this is now finally live.

-Russ

I just tried to log into it but it said it didn't recognise my email or password. 😕
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 21:40
    Originally posted by Exy
    I just tried to log into it but it said it didn't recognise my email or password. 😕
    You will need to register as a new user. It is a different site to RHP.

-Russ
  15. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    21 Apr '04 00:11
    After I registered and after any time I log in it says I am not logged in and I need to close my browser. Any help?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree