1. Baltimore, MD
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 19:30
    not sure why I get an 'illegal move' error when I try to castle. I am trying on the king side, move my king 2 to the right, the rook automatically moves around my king as it should, then I submit the move. getting illegal move error. I have not moved my king nor have I been put in check... not right
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 19:411 edit
    You need to read all of the rules that concern castling.

Here ----> Help : castling
  3. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 20:33
    Especially note that the king cannot move through or into check on its way across the board.
  4. Baltimore, MD
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 20:50
    got it...never knew of the rule about not moving through check...been playing wrong for many years..thanks for the help
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '15 00:17
    Farrington,
    You can ask about rules. And if I am not mistaken, a present day GM or strong player asked about clarification of the rule for castling during an over the board tournament game one time in his life when he went on to win after he found out about the rule and properly castled. Check out the exact rules for castling, you may think you know them, but may not know every castling allowance.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 10:302 edits
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Farrington,
    You can ask about rules. And if I am not mistaken, a present day GM or strong player asked about clarification of the rule for castling during an over the board tournament game one time in his life when he went on to win after he found out about the rule and properly castled. Check out the exact rules for castling, you may think you know them, but may not know every castling allowance.
    It was GM Victor Korchnoi in a world champion candidate's match against Karpov, no less. Korchnoi wasn't sure if he could castle if his Rook passed through check and asked an arbiter.
    Korchnoi was considered the #2 player in the world at one time and eventually played against Karpov for the world championship.
  7. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 14:48
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It was GM Victor Korchnoi in a world champion candidate's match against Karpov, no less. Korchnoi wasn't sure if he could castle if his Rook passed through check and asked an arbiter.
    Korchnoi was considered the #2 player in the world at one time and eventually played against Karpov for the world championship.
    How can a Grandmaster, World Championship Candidate, not be sure of any rule. That is unbelievable.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by Steve45
    How can a Grandmaster, World Championship Candidate, not be sure of any rule. That is unbelievable.
    It happened !
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1995-07-16/entertainment/9507110283_1_rook-anatoly-karpov-castle

I think stress was the cause, the pressure made him momentarily blow a synapse. Korchnoi had to have known the rules of castling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree