1. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 18:49
    I am a little unclear. Is it permitted on RHP to use books and/or computer software (Fritz/Junior/Shredder etc.) to help you when playing a game???

Any answers will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Skims.

P.S. I know it may sound a silly question, but I am relatively new to this site and I just want to make sure I know the facts, rather than guessing. Thank you.
  2. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 19:05
    Originally posted by skims
    I am a little unclear. Is it permitted on RHP to use books and/or computer software (Fritz/Junior/Shredder etc.) to help you when playing a game???

Thank you.

Skims.

P.S. I know it may sound a silly question, but I am relatively new to this site and I just want to make sure I know the facts, rather than guessing. Thank you.
    *wow look a can of worms wonder who left this here
  3. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Chakan
    *wow look a can of worms wonder who left this here
    What exactly do you mean?
  4. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 19:21

Thank you.

Skims.

books yes, databases yes.

engines (Fritz/Junior/Shredder etc.) no.
  5. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 19:23
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    books yes, databases yes.

engines (Fritz/Junior/Shredder etc.) no.
    ok, thank you.

That was very helpful

One other query: If you use books and databases in rated games, doesn't that make your rating inaccurate?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 20:57
    ok, thank you.

That was very helpful

One other query: If you use books and databases in rated games, doesn't that make your rating inaccurate?
    No.
  7. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 22:20
    Please explain.

Why doesn't it?

Surely a rating is a measure of YOUR CHESS ABILITY. If you use books/databases, isn't that doing your rating an in justice, and you will increase your rating, so it won't be as accurate as it can?????

Please explain

Thank you

Skims.
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 22:47
    Please explain.

Why doesn't it?

Surely a rating is a measure of YOUR CHESS ABILITY. If you use books/databases, isn't that doing your rating an in justice, and you will increase your rating, so it won't be as accurate as it can?????

Please explain

Thank you

Skims.
    What you get at RHP is a correspondence chess rating, not an OTB rating. There is no injustice as the rules are equal for all players.
  9. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 11:29
    Originally posted by rhb
    What you get at RHP is a correspondence chess rating, not an OTB rating. There is no injustice as the rules are equal for all players.
    ok thanks
  10. Home
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 14:40
    From the terms of service

b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play
  11. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 20:31
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    From the terms of service

b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play
    Why is anything allowed to be used at all? If one is ready to use a book or database to "help in winning a game", why stop there? Why not fire up the ol' chessmaster or fritz program and have the machine play for you?
    I say to all newcomers: There is NO SHAME in losing a game of chess. Play by your own wits! Learn from every game (win or lose) and enjoy yourself. When you win, it is THAT MUCH MORE satisfying!
    This is THE BEST chess site on the planet. Subscribe and enjoy!
    I play with my dad and brothers here on this site. My dad is 77 years old. We live 1000 miles away from each other... and yet... through this site, we keep in touch!
    Thank you, RHP!
    ps... My dad just took my queen! 🙁
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 21:13
    Originally posted by krisvictor
    Why is anything allowed to be used at all? If one is ready to use a book or database to "help in winning a game", why stop there? Why not fire up the ol' chessmaster or fritz program and have the machine play for you?
    I say to all newcomers: There is NO SHAME in losing a game of chess. Play by your own wits! Learn from every game (win or lose) and enj ...[text shortened]... t... through this site, we keep in touch!
    Thank you, RHP!
    ps... My dad just took my queen! 🙁
    This is a correspondance chess site. That right there says everything you need to know about why books and databases are allowed. That kind of thing has always been allowed in correspondance chess, right back to when it was played by telegraph.

So you still think it shouldn't be allowed. Then how about this.

I'm an avid chess fan. At any point in time I have somewhere around 50 games in progress on this site. My favourite opening is the Sicilian Dragon and I probably have at least 5 games in that opening at all times.

So say I want to study and become a better player. I decide to do some opening study. I want to study the Dragon. Oh but wait, I can't. I have games in progress with that opening.

Now for anyone who actually knows what they are talking about the difference between databases and engines is obvious. One gives you information and let's you decide what you should play, the other tells you what (it thinks) to play.
  13. In your face
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 21:32
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    This is a correspondance chess site. That right there says everything you need to know about why books and databases are allowed. That kind of thing has always been allowed in correspondance chess, right back to when it was played by telegraph.

So you still think it shouldn't be allowed. Then how about this.

I'm an avid chess fan. At any point in ...[text shortened]... mation and let's you decide what you should play, the other tells you what (it thinks) to play.
    On top of this. Using databases isn't as easy as some people make them out to be. You don't just press a button and hey presto! , there's the answer. You have to mull through various games, 100's and 1000's and decide what the best move to take is for yourself. Often they will leave you in limbo, thinking' why did he make that move? That's left me in a right picckle', then the opposition will deviate from the game in question and you're done for.

I have found them good for learning how to combat new openings, that I don't recognise, though.
  14. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 02:24
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    On top of this. Using databases isn't as easy as some people make them out to be. You don't just press a button and hey presto! , there's the answer. You have to mull through various games, 100's and 1000's and decide what the best move to take is for yourself. Often they will leave you in limbo, thinking' why did he make that move? That's left me i ...[text shortened]... I have found them good for learning how to combat new openings, that I don't recognise, though.
    I think this captures the essence of the policy. Chess engines do all your thinking for you. Books and databases don't.
  15. Home
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 05:42
    try uchess.com there the games are much to quick to be using any sort of "aid" It is another of Russ's fine creations!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree