Vacation Mode - Ignore unless.....................

Vacation Mode - Ignore unless.....................

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 Mar 03

Vacation mode........... anyone can flag as being on vacation. So what, ?
As usual, there will be genuine and non-genuine flags stating that the person is on vacation. FOR THE TIME BEING I will ignore this as it is open to abuse - ie a losing player simple flags 'on vacation' to deley.
May I suggest that when you post the 'on vacation' flag that you have to specify a 'return' date. That way, if you don't move by the stated return date; tough, time outs apply.
ie - there needs to be a rule on this.

Would the Olympics be delayed because an athlete was 'on vacation
Would your employer delay moving premises because you were 'on vacation'
Would the police not arrest you because you were ' on vacation'
Would the lottery not draw your winning ticket because you were 'on vacation'
Would the tax man not fine you for filing a late tax return because you were 'on vacation'
etc
etc

The 'flag' as it stands is, in my opinion, a waste of time.
When I first suggested a system like this I specifically mentioned a 'return date' so that, after that date, CLAIM THE T/O's

Sorry, You know when your going away - plan ahead - 14 day or more T/O's.
If it's due to an emergeny, then you have more important things on your mind and won't care about a stupid chess game.

anon

martin

l
Free Thinker

New York City

Moves
14 Mar 03

I think it's meant as a common courtesy, nothing more. That's why even if someone is on vacation, you still have the option of timing them out if you want to. I choose not to, because I believe that we should be try to be as friendly as possible here. However, while I haven't been in this situation yet, if I have a very substantial material and positional advantage and my opponent refuses to 'come back' from vacation, I will send them a reminder and then take the timeout win. But only if it's fairly obvious that I'm going to win anyway.

Keep in mind, an average length seven day timeout game can go on for months if each player only moves every few days, so unexpected absences can certainly come up during that length of time.

-mike

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
14 Mar 03

I belive in giving as much courtesy as possible, but I understand that to be away for an excessive amount of time, vacation or not, is bad form. I still want to encourage the addition of a time limit filter. This would enable someone going on vacation to plan ahead without a lot of hassle, thus eliminating much of the excuses for being timed out. I never really payed much attention to the time limits untill I was away for three days. 🙂

DB

Moves
14 Mar 03
2 edits

I agree with Martin.I knew I was going to go away for a week and changed my settings to 14 days.I also informed my opponents of the exact date I will be back.

We need a date with the vacation setting.

Johan

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
14 Mar 03

I still think we ought to have 8 day, 15 day and 22 day timeouts so that we can go on holiday and still have a catching up day in hand.

Even I, as most active player, always keep my games to 14 day timeouts... you never know what might happen in your life.

Rhymester

stitching you up

Moves
14 Mar 03

Originally posted by MartinS
Vacation mode........... anyone can flag as being on vacation. So what, ?
As usual, there will be genuine and non-genuine flags stating that the person is on vacation. FOR THE TIME BEING I will ignore this as it is open to abuse - ie a losing player simple flags 'on vacation' to deley.
May I suggest that when you post the 'on vacation' flag that you ha ...[text shortened]... e important things on your mind and won't care about a stupid chess game.

anon

martin

All the "would the x not do y if you were on vacation" examples you give are instant events. Correspondance chess games can take months. I don't know what country I'll be in in 2 weeks time, but I have the luxuary of a laptop.
You can't move while vacation mode is switched on. Yes, you can switch it off, move, then switch it on again, so if you suspect someone is just delaying your game then see if he's moving in other games while supposedly on holiday. If yes (and he hasn't explained that he has intermittent net access and will move sporadically when possible), then think about TO.
Yes, having a "return by" date would be useful, if just so we know.
But why is it so important to people to TO so fast? All that gains you is rating points; there is no harm once you have a star to leave a game open for weeks after the TO period has passed. The rating system is just a rough guide to how good someone is so that you can get the level of game you want, but it seems that it has become more important than the chess.
As always, it's your choice to time someone out if you can, on your judgement. What prompted you to post this? Do you think people are using the setting against you falsly? Do you feel the need to justify your actions, and if so why?

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
14 Mar 03

Originally posted by Dr. Brain
We need a date with the vacation setting.
YES! I agree... 😀
I hardly use the vavcation thing but it's nice to know when a game will go on...
th