WEBTV WOES

Standard memberlilgia
Help 25 Feb '06 05:23
  1. maryland
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 05:23
    I'm using a webtv browser, and since Thursday Feb. 23 my chessboard has been missing. When I click on a game, a list of options appears, along with a button titled 'submit move'. But the chessboard on which to make the move is missing. Is this the result of a recent site upgrade? Does this mean that RHP is no longer compatible with WEBTV? Can anyone help me out before I timeout on all my games?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 09:32
    Please select the legacy board option from the board settings page.

-Russ
  3. Joined
    14 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 16:31
    i have web tv also and i tried the legacy setting still wont work if you get any ideas let me know
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 19:09
    Originally posted by PARTSMAN
    i have web tv also and i tried the legacy setting still wont work if you get any ideas let me know
    I am a little bit surprised that even the old interface worked on Web TV, because I have made no consideration for it for years! (Ironically, this site was intended to be for web TV once.)

The legacy board is not the same as the old board (it was recoded), but it does work on similar principals, so it is surprising it doesn't work.

Can you give me any version info about your Web TV, I may try to hunt down an emulator. (They did exist years back, so I assume they still do.)

-Russ
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 20:46
    I have managed to find a copy of the Web Tv emulator (even MS don't seem to offer it for download anymore!) and have now fixed the legacy board code so it will work with Web TV.

The whole interface is not very pretty, but that would have been the same before, but at least you can move now.

Other browsers that may have failed with even the legacy interface may work now. (if it can work on Web TV it can run on anything, surely?)

-Russ
  6. maryland
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 02:10
    I tried the legacy board version, and the chess pieces appeared apparently in their proper places. However, THERE IS NO BOARD!
    The pieces are just sitting there on a white screen. So even if I can now move, I have no idea where to move to. I suppose this is what happens when you start trying to fix something that ain't broke.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 10:38
    I have made further enhancements to the legacy board. Mainly, the captured pieces are now rendered. I also made a slight change regarding the styles used in attempt to try to solve this problem. (I cannot reproduce it on my emulator though, so I never know when I have a fix!)

Please let me know if it has worked.

-Russ
  8. maryland
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 05:45
    I now have a chessboard and the pieces in their proper places. I also have the rows of captured pieces. HOWEVER, I can't move! I click on the piece to be moved, and then click on the square I want to move to--BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!!! The pieces don't respond, they just stay where they are. I suppose a few more twists and turns of that monkey wrench are needed before I can resume my games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree