1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 May '18 11:153 edits
    I suspect this will come up, and I wanted to explain. The previous banner ad was sat directly under the navigation, and picking up too many accidental "low quality" clicks. This can harm the site, so "padding" was introduced so any stray menu clicks are much less likely to hit the ads.

The result is a tiny reduction in vertical space for the things that matter.

(Subscribers don't see ads at all, so are not impacted by the above.)
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 May '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @russ
    I suspect this will come up, and I wanted to explain. The previous banner ad was sat directly under the navigation, and picking up too many accidental "low quality" clicks. This can harm the site, so "padding" was introduced so any stray menu clicks are much less likely to hit the ads.

The result is a tiny reduction in vertical space for the things that matter.

(Subscribers don't see ads at all, so are not impacted by the above.)
    I'm now also seeimg big square ads on my phone. It used to be just horizontal ribbon ones. (I hsven't checked my desktop browser yet.)
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 May '18 14:11
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    I'm now also seeimg big square ads on my phone. It used to be just horizontal ribbon ones. (I hsven't checked my desktop browser yet.)
    Confirmed this on Android. I will try to rectify that ASAP.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 May '18 15:15
    This should now be fixed.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 May '18 10:05
    Originally posted by @russ
    This should now be fixed.
    AFAICT it is.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 May '18 09:031 edit
    Some more modifications have taken place.

Padding shrunk, ad moved.

I appreciate the ad is now in a more prominent position, which some will not like, but ads are a key part of funding this project for non-subs, so I have to take any warning regarding "poor quality clicks" due to the proximity ads to navigation elements seriously.

Again, I want to state that subscribers see no ads and fund the majority of the costs for this site, so please consider it if the ads frustrate.
  7. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    20 May '18 10:52
    Agreed. Non-subscribers are getting a terrific site and all for free. A small price to pay in my view!
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 May '18 13:32
    Originally posted by @flyingwolf
    Agreed. Non-subscribers are getting a terrific site and all for free. A small price to pay in my view!
    I wish more sites gave the option of ad-free for a fee. I'd be happy to pay a fair price for almost everywhere I go, provided that I don't have to endure advertising.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree