Why is it .......

Why is it .......

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
:-)

Sanremo

Moves
01 Mar 04

... and would be nice to title the post to make people immediately to understand what thread speak about. "What is it..." means nothing... eheheh 😀 I hope u solved your problem
Cristina

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
02 Mar 04

Originally posted by conticchio
... and would be nice to title the post to make people immediately to understand what thread speak about. "What is it..." means nothing... eheheh 😀 I hope u solved your problem
Cristina

Creating thread titles is an art in itself ....... 😀

I don't think the problem has been solved yet ...... I remain optimistic though 😉

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
02 Mar 04

I've just noticed that making a new thread's title you cannot use double quotation marks. ---> Error

7 edits

The moral highground

Moves
08 May 04

it is true well done

c

Moves
08 May 04

Originally posted by RolandYoung
They are called quote marks, quotation marks or, to be precise, double quote marks or double-quotes.

Some people call them (double) inverted commas because, in many fonts, they look like upside-down versions of the comma (,)

If you want to write them in HTML or XML, you use the character entity """. In other programming languages, you have ...[text shortened]...

If all the above shows up the way I intend it to, without needing an edit, I'll be amazed.🙄
They were originally called inverted commas because before old fogies like me had ever heard of fonts, that is exactly how you wrote them - remember handwriting?

😕

R

London

Moves
08 May 04

Originally posted by colleman
They were originally called inverted commas because before old fogies like me had ever heard of fonts, that is exactly how you wrote them - remember handwriting?

😕
Only the open quotes are written that way - why, I wonder, are the close quotes not called raised commas? It was only on typewriters (and computers until ten or twenty years ago) that both open and closed quotes looked the same.

Unless you're a grandfather, Dave, you're probably not much older a fogey than I am 😉

c

Moves
09 May 04

Originally posted by RolandYoung
Only the open quotes are written that way - why, I wonder, are the close quotes not called raised commas? It was only on typewriters (and computers until ten or twenty years ago) that both open and closed quotes looked the same.

Unless you're a grandfather, Dave, you're probably not much older a fogey than I am 😉
Grandad to two lovely girls!

😀😀

M

Moves
09 May 04

These: "" in english are called quotation marks, as they "quote" what one is saying.

Hope I've been informative... 🙂

Ed

c

Moves
09 May 04

Originally posted by Mustangace
These: "" in english are called quotation marks, as they "quote" what one is saying.

Hope I've been informative... 🙂

Ed
well.......American English maybe but I don't know English English 😉

Where are all the English scholars on this site? - give us the definitive answer.