Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 08 Sep '04 15:32
    I leave the PC on most of the day with the redhotpawn web site open. I find I have to open the page and then double clik the refresh button before the page is updated. Can redhotpawn come up with a way to alert the player that his opponent has made a move as long as he keeps the redhotpawn website open on his PC?
  2. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    08 Sep '04 16:30
    What u want is kind of there already in a completely different way. What u propose is impossible, without some kind of system tray plug in.

    U can turn on email notifications so u receive a mail when an opponent moves (my settings > my site settings). If you're using an email client then a little envelope of some sort should pop up in system tray, or a message may be seen. That is decided through your client settings. If u use hotmail, then if u install msn messenger, u will receive email notifications. Similarly with yahoo, u just need to install Yahoo messenger to receive email notifications.

    Hope this helps,

    D
  3. 09 Sep '04 01:50
    I believe this idea was being developed at some point. About a year ago I seen something on this in the developers forum but I think it got buried. They can have something like an IE plug in that alerts you when someone has moved, like a flashing light in your browser, click on it and it automatically refreshes the page. The problem with e-mail notification is that at some point you have to go through and delete all them, if your playing many games this can get hectic.
  4. Standard member mrmist
    Moo
    09 Sep '04 05:28
    If this does get implemented then please make it an optional feature as it sounds like it could be annoying.
  5. 09 Sep '04 09:50
    It can be done with an automatic reload, but Russ has already stated that due to bandwith reasons such a feature will not be implemented.
  6. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    09 Sep '04 09:57
    To get a notification you need some interaction with the site. The only way to do that without you clicking something is to have an automatic download of some kind.

    I hate automatic downloads. When I'm ready and looking at the screen, I'll ask.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    09 Sep '04 10:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SkipSlot
    I believe this idea was being developed at some point. About a year ago I seen something on this in the developers forum but I think it got buried. They can have something like an IE plug in that alerts you when someone has moved, like a f ...[text shortened]... d delete all them, if your playing many games this can get hectic.
    Yes, I wrote the RHPAgent. It does sit in your system tray, and responsibly polls the site (backing off over time if the number of games waiting does not change).

    I never released it into the wild though.

    Due to recent site optimisations, I would be prepared to do this at some point though.

    -Russ
  8. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    09 Sep '04 11:11
    Originally posted by Russ
    Yes, I wrote the RHPAgent. It does sit in your system tray, and responsibly polls the site (backing off over time if the number of games waiting does not change).

    I never released it into the wild though.

    Due to recent site optimisations, I would be prepared to do this at some point though.

    -Russ
    would it just be for IE or other browser (FireFox, ...) as well?
    th
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    09 Sep '04 12:10
    It is a separate application, so not dependant on any browser.

    -Russ
  10. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    09 Sep '04 12:11
    Originally posted by Russ
    Yes, I wrote the RHPAgent. It does sit in your system tray, and responsibly polls the site (backing off over time if the number of games waiting does not change).

    I never released it into the wild though.

    Due to recent site optimisations, I would be prepared to do this at some point though.

    -Russ
    I just thought, you could have been referring to two other apps which were also developed by others, before I did mine.

    I have no idea about the current state of those now though.

    -Russ
  11. 09 Sep '04 21:16
    Originally posted by Russ
    I just thought, you could have been referring to two other apps which were also developed by others, before I did mine.

    I have no idea about the current state of those now though.

    -Russ
    StrayJay's project has been 'put in the fridge'.

    O.