Women cannot play chess says Aronian

Women cannot play chess says Aronian

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

benching

Moves
20 Nov 08

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5025

Women cannot play chess.
But that is no explanation. Wasn’t it your sister who taught you chess?

FL

Moves
20 Nov 08

I'm always skeptical of people who claim that women can't play chess because they don't have the right sort of temperament, because as far as I can tell the elite men players (those above 2700, say) have many different temperaments and chess styles.

I liked this quote though:
"Chess programs are our enemies, they destroy the romance of chess. They take away the beauty of the game."

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Nov 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I'm always skeptical of people who claim that women can't play chess because they don't have the right sort of temperament, because as far as I can tell the elite men players (those above 2700, say) have many different temperaments and chess styles.

I liked this quote though:
"Chess programs are our enemies, they destroy the romance of chess. They take away the beauty of the game."
It´s total nonsense - I´m surprised that he didn´t start saying that women´s brains will overheat. The dominating factor, I´d imagine is that after being subjected to this kind of patronizing sexism women don´t want to play chess to avoid having to put up with comments like that.

btw. - I´m impressed you got the anti-engine bit in - are you going for a reference in every thread no matter what the basic subject?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
20 Nov 08

Originally posted by Jie
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5025

[b]Women cannot play chess.

But that is no explanation. Wasn’t it your sister who taught you chess?[/b]
"Women cannot play chess". I think this is incorrect, there have been too many examples of talented female chess players to say this. A more accurate statement is: Women REFUSE to play chess. One can debate the usefullness of female only events, regardless, unless more women take a sincere interest in chess, and start participating and studying, there total number of players will remain very small, and because of this, will have little chance of being on equal footing with men.
😏

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
20 Nov 08

Yes well anyone with a brain can see Polgar is in the top 10 in the World. What a dumbass!

FL

Moves
20 Nov 08

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Yes well anyone with a brain can see Polgar is in the top 10 in the World. What a dumbass!
She's down to #27 now. More than ten eighties kids above her and three born in 1990!

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
20 Nov 08

Originally posted by bill718
"Women cannot play chess". I think this is incorrect, there have been too many examples of talented female chess players to say this. A more accurate statement is: Women REFUSE to play chess. One can debate the usefullness of female only events, regardless, unless more women take a sincere interest in chess, and start participating and studying, there total ...[text shortened]... y small, and because of this, will have little chance of being on equal footing with men.
😏
The quote “women cannot play chess” seems to be taken out of context; Aronian infers that it is against a woman’s nature to become completely immersed in a trivial pursuit such as chess implicitly on the basis of minute biological and chemical differences. Thus I do not think that he means to say that women are less intellectually capable of chess success but that it is less likely that women would avidly devote themselves to such a pursuit.

There is no scientific or neurological basis to indicate that women cannot attain the highest ranks in chess or in many other fields; additionally there have been various historical precedents in which women have attained great success in fields that require high cognition and great expertise. Moreover, cultural contexts and socioeconomics should be considered when attempting to gauge women’s chess prowess throughout history.

Notably, the Polgars and Vera Menchik historically have beaten top players; additionally possibly Hou Yifan and Koneru are potential top-tier chess players of the future.

And a woman (Eva Moser) beat David Tebb at the recent Euro championships. 😛
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1507436

Naturally, males can be quite emotionally charged; the top male chess players are passionate about their chess and heterosexual males do not always easily repress their feelings regarding women. And why should they? 😉

Scientifically, it is known that increased passion may correspond with increased memory.

Below are some pictures of photogenic women who played the 2006 Olympiad.
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3178

D

Moves
20 Nov 08

I recall one possible "explanation", namely that the natural bell curves of intellectual ability are slightly different between men and women. Specifically, that the curve for men is slightly wider. Statistical differences, to the extent they exist, would be most apparent at the extreme ends. It's not proved by any means, but at least it's consistent with things like the percentages on the FIDE top 100 list and among those in prison.

Even if this is true, it doesn't account for many other factors, such as the amount of effort people make to become proficient. There are social factors as well - I don't pretend to have any kind of complete explanation.

Statistical analysis is that it has nothing to do with the level of a given individual's achievement, nor does it limit what's possible.

D

Moves
21 Nov 08

D

Moves
21 Nov 08

z

Moves
21 Nov 08

let it die already. Do we really need 2^7 treads about women playing chess? Are you all that deprived of interaction with the "fairer" gender? Jesus Christ on a cross! someone give me a good chess puzzle already.

J

benching

Moves
21 Nov 08
1 edit

zebano stop getting so worked up. If someone from Latvia makes controversial comments the incredulous is soon exposed.

D

Moves
21 Nov 08

v

Moves
21 Nov 08

and he is not someone, he might even be The One somewhere in the future

J

benching

Moves
21 Nov 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
My bad. I was seeing a lot of outlandish behaviour from one individual and it "clouded my judgment".