1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 18:248 edits
    Next week a fairly major release will be taking place that will make some changes to the “My Games” page – one of the most used pages on the site.

The most notable change is a move from the current My Games and Manage Games options on the button bar.

They will be replaced by :

My Current Games and All My Games.

My Current Games, the default, will show only games in progress and games that have ended in the last 7 days.

All My Games will show all games, including those visible on the My Current Games page. The existing folders will only be available on the All My Games page. (It is very much like the current My Games page)

All completed games will be removed from the My Current Games automatically after 7 days, even though it will be possible to manually remove them the moment they finish rather than wait.

For most people, particularly light users, I suspect the change will largely go unnoticed and they will be unlikely to ever use the All My Games option.

So, why the change?

- The default view when “my games” is clicked will focus on games in progress. Historical games are still there when you need them, but only when “All My Games” has been selected.

- Archiving games is a chore, and the majority of people just push games into the default archive folder anyway to shift them from the current "inbox". This process will become automatic.

- Most people do not use custom folders for games in progress, so they now have less focus.

- There is a good performance benefit which means this service should be faster for you and everyone else.

- This update sets us up for other future updates quite nicely.

Important : Death of the “inbox” folder.

The inbox concept will become obsolete, since the default “My Current Games” has superseded its function.

Only one default folder will exist – the “archive” folder. All games currently assigned to the “inbox” will join the games in the “archive” folder.

If you have separated games from your “inbox” and “archive” folder and feel the need to maintain this separation, please create a custom folder and move the games as soon as possible. For most people, the new "My Current Games" view will mean the separation is pointless in future, so if this isn't clear, please ignore.
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 18:55
    Originally posted by Russ
    Only one default folder will exist – the “archive” folder. All games currently assigned to the “inbox” will join the games in the “archive” folder.
    Since most "inbox" games are in progress (I stick my unrated training games in there), would it be better to move them to "current" than "archive"?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 19:112 edits
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Since most "inbox" games are in progress (I stick my unrated training games in there), would it be better to move them to "current" than "archive"?
    Ok, this may take some clarification because it is a little different to what we have now.

"My Current Games" is not a folder, it is just an alternative view (with a dedicated page) of your games, just showing active games.

Games are even created by default in the archive folder - but this is of no consequence, as that is not where people will look for their next game.

A game will be listed in both the archive folder and "My Current Games" page by default. It is just removed from the "My Current Games" view once the game finishes, leaving it visible in the archive folder. (Or any other folder if it has been moved.)
  4. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 19:21
    Sorry if this question is elementary, Russ. But I am one of those folks who has separated my games in progress out of my inbox and archive folders. I have created custom folders based on game type and status. For example, I have ongoing clan games in a folder marked (you guessed it) 'Clan Games Ongoing' while my comlpeted clan games have been moved to a custom made folder labeled as such. Will this change disrupt my custom files?
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 19:23
    All custom folders (and their contents) will remain untouched.

I actually hope I'm not confusing the issue by making a big deal about the removal of the inbox, because I don't see it being an issue really.
  6. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 21:362 edits
    This seems like a good idea since it helps keep focus and whatnot, and anything is good if it's in the name of performance. I just hope this isn't the begninning of a process where old games are removed entirely? 🙂
  7. e4
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 04:14
    I suppose if some players really miss their 'in box' they can make
    a folder called 'in box'.

Mr Russ whilst you are here - can we have some stats displayed.
    Perhaps have it on the front intro screen.

How many games have been played.
    Plus total of White wins, Black wins and draws.

I like stats.
    This is my 245th post and this is my 55th smiley: 😀
    Thank You.
  8. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 06:08
    Hmmm... How will we know if games are resigned if they are no longer in our current games list? I usually only find out that someone has resigned when I do my skull check.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 09:00
    I have all my active games in the inbox. I always delete the oldest finished ones (by sending them to the archive) but always leave a finnished (with a red square) at the bottom so I can easily see if there are any new games coming.
    (If someone challenge me, or a new tournament round is started, then the game in the bottom is not red.)

If old red finnished games are removaed automatically after 7 days, then my system doesn't work anymore.

For those members having hundreds of games, new games are not easily seen.

I want (please):
    (1) that we move the finnished games ourselves to the archive, as is done now, or
    (2) The new games, without date, are sorted above all the other games, so we can see them more easily, or
    (3) They are given a date, far in the future so the sorting is doing the trick, or
    (4) A PM reminds us that there are new games, new rounds, new challengers, new siege games, etc.
  10. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 12:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Mr Russ whilst you are here - can we have some stats displayed.
    Perhaps have it on the front intro screen.

How many games have been played.
    Plus total of White wins, Black wins and draws.
    That does exist at the moment, just not on the front page. Click on My Home (and then My Home in the drop down to get there), then beneath the big icons, there's a blue button that says My Performance. Those are the stats I think you're after.
  11. e4
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 15:47
    Originally posted by Meadows
    That does exist at the moment, just not on the front page. Click on My Home (and then My Home in the drop down to get there), then beneath the big icons, there's a blue button that says My Performance. Those are the stats I think you're after.
    I was thinking about games from the whole site.

Something like this.

Games played to date 14th Feb 2009:1,123,456

White wins 456789 : Black wins 665433 Draws 1234
  12. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 20:13
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I was thinking about games from the whole site.

Something like this.

Games played to date 14th Feb 2009:1,123,456

[b]White wins 456789 : Black wins 665433 Draws 1234
    [/b]
    Hmm, my bad. Maybe you could ask everyone and divide by 2?
  13. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 08:02
    I think this is going to be another good improvement. It just keeps getting better. I may have to spend some money someday.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree