Weekend tournament

Weekend tournament

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 09

Today I played in local OTB tournament. 7 rounds. Time control: 1.-4.round (today) 25min + 5 sec inc. 5.-7.round (tomorrow) - 50 min + 5 sec inc.

In first round I got much weaker opponent and won. Could finish him faster (35.d6 instead of 35.Rxe8), but my opponent revenged with 37....h5?.

Ratings given in ELO section are national ratings.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 09
1 edit

In second round I got weak Master candidate. He played really bad and could resign after 11th move.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 09
1 edit

In third round I got some opening advantage but played not too good. This notation is not full due to mutual time trouble which finished as draw.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 09

In 4th round I played against decent FM (against which I have very good score). but I felt tired and was not too aggressive - draw.

Tomorrow in 5th round I will play against younger guy with higher national rating (2336). I will have White and I`m gonna to prepare something....

e4

Moves
20 Feb 09
1 edit

Good games - enjoyed of course the win v Selivanovs.

Good luck with rest of games.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Good games - enjoyed of course the win v Selivanovs.

Good luck with rest of games.
I would not call these games too good. And I had so many beers yesterday.....

e4

Moves
20 Feb 09
1 edit

Well I enjoyed the 2nd one - the Queen check picking up the c7 Knight,
and your glorious Knight prancing all over the board - that cheered me up.
Sorry to see it go for a dull Rook on h1 but it's most likely the
shortest way to wrap it up.

Moves
20 Feb 09

Yeah, I liked the 2nd game too. It wasn't much of a game, but Korch played it very stylishly.

M

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by Erekose
Yeah, I liked the 2nd game too. It wasn't much of a game, but Korch played it very stylishly.
Agreed! Can't wait to see the sort of cheeky opening preparation someone of Korch's standard can achieve! (Especially against someone strong.)

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 09
4 edits

5th round. My opening preparation worked very well - after 20th move I had winning position which developed until Rook endgame with 2 extra pawns. Unfortunately in blitz stage with both of us having last seconds (which is the reason why notation is incomplete) my opponent managed to escape 🙁 This game damped my spirit and last 2 games I played like a pale shadow.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 09
2 edits

In 6th round I tried to play aggressive, but my inspiration did leave me - quite a boring draw.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 09

In 7th (last) round I played against girl - national master who had point ahead their followers. I tried to play solid and she obviously played for draw.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 09
1 edit

With 4,5/7 (+2 =5) I shared 4th-6th place (amongst 22 players). Top 3 were my opponents today:
1. Katrina Skinke 6/7
2. Matiss Mustaps 5,5/7
3. Nikolajs Matvieks 5/7

I`m really unsatisfied with my play in this tournament 🙁

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
21 Feb 09
1 edit

That round 5 game you drew would have pushed you up into 2= as well, you must be quite annoyed about not being able to win the endgame from that position especially with there being 5 seconnds increment per move I would have thought it fairly easy to convert.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 09
4 edits

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
That round 5 game you drew would have pushed you up into 2= as well, you must be quite annoyed about not being able to win the endgame from that position.
After that game I felt simply horrible - such kind of endgames I usually win even in bullet. But as we know blitz and time trouble are not actually the same.....

Btw. That guy is good blitz player and he also plays good in time trouble - in next round being in time trouble he managed to win game in which he had lost and later dead draw position.

P.S. If yesterday someone told me that with 5 sec inc. I will not be able to win that endgame I would laugh about him.