Phillies
    Dodgers
    Cardinals
    Other
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 18:18
    Are you saying the Phillies, Dodgers and Cardinals have a historical grip on NL playoff spots?

You might have a case in the AL but you'd be grasping at straws if you claim the same for the NL.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 20:54
    Originally posted by uzless
    Yankees
    Boston
    LAA
    Other

Phillies
    Dodgers
    Cardinals
    Other
    Tell you what hot shot. I will give you those six teams and i will take the field for $1,000.00. I will bet that the two teams that meet in the World Series are both not from your six teams. You have to jump on this bet because you already mouthed off that they were the six best teams in baseball.

What do you say?
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Tell you what hot shot. I will give you those six teams and i will take the field for $1,000.00. I will bet that the two teams that meet in the World Series are both not from your six teams. You have to jump on this bet because you already mouthed off that they were the six best teams in baseball.

What do you say?
    If by mouthing off you mean pointing out historical facts then yes of course.

Why do you insist on pointing only to the world series as the defacto be all and end all of arguments that payroll isn't a massive factor in playoff appearances.

I note you haven't quoted ANY of the stats of the past 5 years on who made the playoffs and who didnt'.

The AL in particular is a joke. Stats don't lie.

Look it up, post them, and then explain why the AL is ultra-competitive.

(I've posted the stats already many times in previous threads should you be too lazy to compile them yourself...you can just cut/paste them.)
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 11:20
    Originally posted by darvlay

You might have a case in the AL but you'd be grasping at straws if you claim the same for the NL.
    Might??
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 17:17

Why do you insist on pointing only to the world series as the defacto be all and end all of arguments that payroll isn't a massive factor in playoff appearances.

I note you haven't quoted ANY of the stats of the past 5 years on who made the playoffs and who didnt'.

The AL i ...[text shortened]... ous threads should you be too lazy to compile them yourself...you can just cut/paste them.)
    Go read my analysis in the other two posts and perhaps you will get some insight into what I am trying to explain to you. The odds are in my favor, contrary to your belief. Check it out with an open mind, and I think you will back off of your stance a bit. Who knows, maybe you won't, and if so, take the bet and I'll take your money, more than likely.
  7. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 23:44

The AL i ...[text shortened]... ous threads should you be too lazy to compile them yourself...you can just cut/paste them.)
    Well said. Wrecked. SC is just talking out of the exit orifice again. He thinks he knows it all.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 02:10
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    Well said. Wrecked. SC is just talking out of the exit orifice again. He thinks he knows it all.
    You wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the head. You seem to be enamored with my exit orifice. Maybe we should call you sphincter boy?

I do know exactly what I am talking about regardless of what you think.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 02:16

The goal of all teams is to win the World Series. Anything short of that is failure to achieve the goal. That is why it is treated with reverence. Do you remember who finished second in all of the major sports? Perhaps you remember a few, but the champion is the one you remember.

Obviously, in order to win the World Series, you must make the playoffs. Then the season starts all over. Now, my point is, if having the largest payroll is the major determiner as you suggest, then why does the largest payroll fail to win for 10 years? Are they overpaid and no good? No, they were not the best that season. If you can't understand that, then the rest of the explanations are wasted on you.
  10. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 06:49
    Good thing he didn't take your bet, SC. 😛

I don't know much about the payroll numbers, but it seems the Yankee effectively bought themselves into this World Series, by getting Sabathia and Texeira. 240 millionish spent on those two guys, well worth the money, of course, but if you're in a bidding war with the Yankees, you're always going to lose. As for future years, who knows, other teams will improve, but money impacted this year, no doubt.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 14:27
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield

I don't know much about the payroll numbers, but it seems the Yankee effectively bought themselves into this World Series, by getting Sabathia and Texeira. 240 millionish spent on those two guys, well worth the money, of course, but if you're in a bidding war with the Yankees, you're always going to lose. As for future years, who knows, other teams will improve, but money impacted this year, no doubt.[/b]
    Exactly. Do yourself a favor and find a sport woth watching that is not so predictable. You know, one that actually has some parity in it.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 17:20
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Good thing he didn't take your bet, SC. 😛

I don't know much about the payroll numbers, but it seems the Yankee effectively bought themselves into this World Series, by getting Sabathia and Texeira. 240 millionish spent on those two guys, well worth the money, of course, but if you're in a bidding war with the Yankees, you're always going to lose. As ...[text shortened]... r future years, who knows, other teams will improve, but money impacted this year, no doubt.
    You miss my point. If Sabbathia blows out his arm or Tex blows out a knee...they are still strapped with those contracts and the total loss of their respective production. They are also subject to having off years....take a look at Santana and Beltran for the Mets, both of which were hurt and neither of which posted numbers close to the previous years. Long term deals with pitchers is particularly dangerous. Oswalt was hurt all year in Houston, Peavy was hurt, you are seeing it more. Sure, the truly deep pockets in NY and California can re-load to a certain extent, but their coffers are not endless. Do you remember when the Yankees gave Jason Giambi the monster deal? They couldn't wait to unload the guy when he hit the wall. They ate a fortune on that mistake. Some argued that A-Rod was going to go a similar route until this season where he finally showed up in the playoffs.

I will stand behind my statement and say again that the factors they cannot buy are health, guaranteed production and clubhouse chemistry. The odds are they are going to endure at least some of those problems.
  13. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 19:10
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You miss my point. If Sabbathia blows out his arm or Tex blows out a knee...they are still strapped with those contracts and the total loss of their respective production. They are also subject to having off years....take a look at Santana and Beltran for the Mets, both of which were hurt and neither of which posted numbers close to the previous years. ...[text shortened]... and clubhouse chemistry. The odds are they are going to endure at least some of those problems.
    I know. Notice how I said 'as for future seasons, who knows'. All I was referring to is that money had an impact on this year (which is safe to say because they did make it to the world series, and have an excellent chance of winning). I don't think anybody's wrong as the immediate impact and future variable have to mix. I do agree that money can backfire, but it also has a bigger impact on smaller teams when a deal turns out to be a bust, like the Rays signing Pat Burrell.

But either way, I agree with you. Money can't do everything.
  14. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 18:571 edit
    Yankees
    Boston
    LAA
    Other

Phillies
    Dodgers
    Cardinals
    Other
    Not if Matsui and Damon leave the roster.... I'd put Boston and LAA ahead of the Yanks.

Phillies do have a chokehold in the NL....they will be back...along with the Cards.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 20:33
    I see the payroll crybabaies have started another forum and make a list of the past few year winners and decide that they definitely will be back in 2010 without even seeing what rosters may look like and ignore the number of different team swhich make it each year.
    Despite their claims baseball has TREMENDOUS competitive balance:
    In the last ten years the following teams 14 of 20 possible teams have made it to the world series Yankees (4), Mets, Arizona, Angels, Giants, Marlins, Red Sox (2), Cardinals (2), White Sox, Houston, Detroit, Colorado, Phillies (2), Tampa. That is incredible balance. Certainly these are not all Big Market teams.
    The Yankees and Boston play in the same division. There is certainly no guarantee that both make it over Tampa. In fact, he Yankees missed the playoffs as recently as last year. The Dodgers finished fourth as recently as 2007; the Cardinals finished 4th in 2008. The idea that the Dodgers and Cardinals are in the playoffs each year is just inaccurate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree