03 Dec '09 18:41
    I figure if hoh don't like him, he must be a nice guy. 😛
  6. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 18:46
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I figure if hoh don't like him, he must be a nice guy. 😛
    I was thinking more like, it takes one to know one. But you might be right too.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 18:53
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I was thinking more like, it takes one to know one. But you might be right too.
    Howard Zinn, the author of the best seller "A People's History of the United States", is a historian, political scientist and social activist well-known for his involvement in progressive causes.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:13
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn

World War II

Zinn eagerly joined the Army Air Force during World War II to fight fascism, and he bombed targets in Berlin, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.[14] Zinn's anti-war stance was, in part, informed by his own experiences in the military. In April, 1945, he participated in one of the first military uses of napalm, which took place in Royan, France.[15]
    2nd Lieut. Howard Zinn, bombardier, Army Air Force in England, 1945.

The bombings were aimed at German soldiers who were, in Zinn's words, hiding and waiting out the closing days of the war. The attacks killed not only the German soldiers but also French civilians, facts Zinn uncovered nine years after the bombings when he visited Royan to examine documents and interview residents. In his books, The Politics of History and The Zinn Reader, he described how the bombing was ordered at the war's end by decision-makers most probably motivated by the desire for career advancement rather than for legitimate military objectives.

Zinn said his experience as a bombardier, combined with his research into the reasons for and effects of the bombing of Royan, sensitized him to the ethical dilemmas faced by G.I.s during wartime.[16] Zinn questioned the justifications for military operations inflicting civilian casualties in the Allied bombing of cities such as Dresden, Royan, Tokyo, and Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II, Hanoi during the U.S. war in Vietnam, and Baghdad during the U.S. war in Iraq. In his pamphlet "Hiroshima: Breaking the Silence", Zinn laid out the case against targeting civilians.[17]
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:15
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn

World War II

Zinn eagerly joined the Army Air Force during World War II to fight fascism, and he bombed targets in Berlin, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.[14] Zinn's anti-war stance was, in part, informed by his own experiences in the military. In April, 1945, he participated in one of the first military uses of n ...[text shortened]... "Hiroshima: Breaking the Silence", Zinn laid out the case against targeting civilians.[17]
    answered here Thread 122496 and here Thread 122514.
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:16
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Do you even know who he is?
    yes.
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 03:01
    He's dead now.
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 03:03
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    He's dead now.
    Must've read this thread 😕
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 04:25
    May he R.I.P.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:21
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Deluded blowhard?
    No.
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 13:413 edits
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    He's dead now.
    Sweet! That's worth $20 in my celebrity dead pool and leaves a spot open for Gary Coleman.

Seriously, somebody call the waaaahmbulance. The man was so far left that he could hardly be considered living as it was. While funeral arrangements have yet to be anounced, my inside source tells me that he'll be cremated and the ceremony will consist of a small series of circus tent acts. These will include all the old standby performances, such as, acrobats, sword swallowing, bearded ladies, Nixon impersonators, jetpacked penguins, tigers and flaming hoops of fire. The whole spectacle will conclude with Zinn's ashes being loaded into a cannon and shot into the audience.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree