1. Joined
    05 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 03:36
    Would ICC benefit a non expert chess player like me? (I barely reach 1400 on RHP)

I like the idea of having a chess server with tons of players on at all times and where I can click a button and get automatched with an opponent that is close to my rating. ICC seems to fit the bill, but is it strictly a GM, IM, master and expert player club?

Thanks for any info!
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 03:45
    No, ICC has lots of weakish players. Personally, I think it's a great site, and I would definatly recommend it. You will also find that all the videos that are released each week are well worth the membership.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 09:181 edit
    personally... i prefer fics

(which is like sex.... better when it is free)
  4. Joined
    23 May '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 09:36
    And, like sex ,if you have to pay its probably riddled with viruses
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 12:11
    Originally posted by redhotlawn
    Would ICC benefit a non expert chess player like me? (I barely reach 1400 on RHP)

I like the idea of having a chess server with tons of players on at all times and where I can click a button and get automatched with an opponent that is close to my rating. ICC seems to fit the bill, but is it strictly a GM, IM, master and expert player club?

Thanks for any info!
    I've been a member of ICC for years. Its among the best site for blitz (and probably short games like 15 minutes, too although I don't play these very often). RHP, IMO is still the best correspondance experience. So it really depends on what you are looking for. FICS has far fewer players than ICC and I got bored there - I kept getting matches against the same players. The live tournament broadcasts on ICC are fun too.

If you are looking to improve, both are useful, but, in general, blitz is more for fun.
  6. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 12:25
    Why don't you get the free 7 day trial from and see? I think Playchess also offer a free 30 day trial as well. That is not bad to sample real online chess, where you are playing humans your level. You can also get the free FICS anyway its not bad for free but it is not like the other two.
  7. Joined
    16 Jul '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 13:48
    I rarely play blitz, but when I do I use Playchess. How does this compare to ICC? I can't always find a game with longer time controls (30 mins) on Playchess, is that easier to find on ICC? Which system has the most active players?

thanks,

D.
  8. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 13:54
    I’ve heard good things about ICC, a few people from Chess club are on it and they reckon it’s well worth the money - not just for the games but for the video lectures etc. I keep meaning to get around to joining, but I don’t think I’d use it enough - I used to be on Playchess.com but only really played a couple of games on a Sunday afternoon.
  9. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 14:02
    Something worth mentioning in passing is that its good to get a trial of ICC/Playchess the hours you will normally be playing because if you are in some unusual timezone and the players in one server are from Europe and the others from America ... but wait there are probably lots of greenpawns on the server playing when they are supposed to be sleeping. 😀

I know because most of the time on weekends I spend many hours playing and losing (Its funny how you feel like carrying on when losing points) and I still haven't brought my FICS blitz to a healthy level like my FICS standard rating.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 14:08
    if the price isn't a problem, ICC is the best. the 3-minute, 5-minute and 15-minute pools work exactly like you wanted. they also have auto-forfeit after disconnection, which is the best thing since the thing that came after sliced bread. it also has the most players, and loads of videos.

FICS is the free 'little brother' of ICC, separated when ICC went commercial. less players, slower server, worse interface and no automatic matching. no videos or tournament commentary either. but it IS free and usable.

I play mostly at ICC myself.
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 14:22
    icc and playchess are both good. You get a year of playchess if you buy fritz or chessbase etc. so it's is the better deal, but unless you play during European hours the pool of players can be small. ICC costs a little more, but it isthe gold standard of internet chess.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:18
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if the price isn't a problem, ICC is the best. the 3-minute, 5-minute and 15-minute pools work exactly like you wanted. they also have auto-forfeit after disconnection, which is the best thing since the thing that came after sliced bread. it also has the most players, and loads of videos.

FICS is the free 'little brother' of ICC, separated when ICC went ...[text shortened]... s or tournament commentary either. but it IS free and usable.

I play mostly at ICC myself.
    FICS also lacks central monitoring of lag, which means you cannot screen persisitent laggers out. On ICC, in the 5-minute pool, the server will not let you enter if your lag exceeds certain limits. Playchess also helps players avoid lagging opponents.

You get what you pay for, and sometimes free is too expensive in comparison to paid services. ICC is a great value. I like the Playchess GUI better, but sometimes it is hard to find an opponent there at times that I want to play. In my time zone (western US), more players seem to be on ICC in the evening than on Playchess.
  13. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:41
    Why not use the RHP blitz?
  14. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:47
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Why not use the RHP blitz?
    It does not come anywhere near FICS/ICC or Playchess. I would rank it along Yahoo or Pogo or those places for complete noobs.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:51
    Still it's better than playchess 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree