12 Aug '11 00:31
    A quiet four knights game...

Annotation 1427

2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 01:10
    I really enjoyed this game, and the style in which it was played.

It struck me that as I played through, white played very straightforward moves, and around moves 10-15 it occurred to me that I very much liked the white side of things. There is a sort of clarity about it that is very aesthetically pleasing.

A very clean game.
  3. e4
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 01:201 edit
    Hi Ragwort.

7.Qd4.?!

You have dusted the cobwebs of that one. It was practically the mainline long long ago.

7..Qe7 instead of the clumsy 7...c5 is far better and relegated 7.Qd4 to a sub variation.

Developing!. Holding the Bishop, stopping Qe4+ and hitting the e-pawn.
    (if 8.Bd3 Bc5! and White is on the back foot - not bad for 8 moves.)
    The c-pawn stays on c6 to bolster d5. (so you can get torn into this clown) 😉
  4. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 05:15
    Good game n good annotation 🙂 Thanks you
  5. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 06:59
    Thanks for doing this - good game
  6. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 14:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Ragwort.

7.Qd4.?!

[fen]r1bqk2r/p1pp1ppp/2p2n2/8/1b1QP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1B1KB1R b KQkq - 0 7[/fen]
    You have dusted the cobwebs of that one. It was practically the mainline long long ago.

7..Qe7 instead of the clumsy 7...c5 is far better and relegated 7.Qd4 to a sub variation.

[fen]r1b1k2r/p1ppqppp/2p2n2/8/1b1QP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1B1KB1R w KQkq - ...[text shortened]... ad for 8 moves.)
    Too late for all that now GP - the point's in the bag!

I guessed that 7.Qd4 would have been played before but I didn't see all the downsides you mention. I knew that it's absence from MCO meant I entailed some risk. My opponent has had a similar OTB season to our friend from Geneva, so I hope that he will find some of the notes helpful for the next one. He is trying to develop a Clown Ripper's Repertoire on here over the summer so I just played the blandest thing I could think of and it looks like he saw plenty of ghosts....
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 14:25
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I really enjoyed this game, and the style in which it was played.

It struck me that as I played through, white played very straightforward moves, and around moves 10-15 it occurred to me that I very much liked the white side of things. There is a sort of clarity about it that is very aesthetically pleasing.

A very clean game.
    Thanks Paul,

It will come as no surprise that one of the first chess books I read as a kid was Chernev's Logical Chess Move by Move. Had it for an Xmas Present in the 1960's. Funny how the early influences extends across the decades - and in this case a millenium!!!

It's only lately I've begun to catch up with the miniatures....(clown rippers)
  8. on your backrank!
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 14:43
    nice game!
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 00:44
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    A quiet four knights game...

Annotation 1427

[pgn]
    [Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2011.07.15"]
    [EndDate "2011.08.06"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Ragwort"]
    [Black "Talisman"]
    [WhiteRating "1658"]
    [BlackRating "1646"]
    [WhiteElo "1658"]
    [BlackElo "1646"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "8565034"]

{ ...[text shortened]... a resignation in an almost bloodless coup.} 1-0
    [/pgn]
    Nice annotations.
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 00:45
    Hi Ragwort.

7.Qd4.?!

[fen]r1bqk2r/p1pp1ppp/2p2n2/8/1b1QP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1B1KB1R b KQkq - 0 7[/fen]

[fen]r1b1k2r/p1ppqppp/2p2n2/8/1b1QP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1B1KB1R w KQkq - ...[text shortened]... ad for 8 moves.)
    7 . . . Qe7 does look like a good reply to 7.Qd4.
  11. e4
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 02:011 edit
    "Too late for all that now GP - the point's in the bag! "

I'm trying to keep the points from dropping out of the bag. 😉

My lot are a bit impressionable and may try 7.Qd4 (it no longer features in
    opening books on the Four Knights.) and easily drift into an awful position.

I'm up for them gambiting for an attack, even if theory claims it's dodgy,
    as long as it sets problems.
    But Black has a good (easy to see move 7...Qe7) which blows the White's first move.
    7.Bd3 is much more versatile and keeps the pot hot.

7.Qd4 reached a peak in 1891 during the Blackburne - Golmayo 10 game match.
    Blackburne won 5-3 winning all his Whites. Golmayo’s 3 White wins
    all came with this 7.Qd4 variation.

Though it was not so much the opening, (the games lasted 48, 63 and 68 moves,)
    but Blackburne’s endgame that decided these games.
    As Black in one game he lost this position.

So to counter the good play White got and demonstrated so well, which adds fuel
    to the statement that if a bad opening move is not jumped on then it may
    (and often does) turn out to be a good move. I counter offer this.

I hate using GM games as an examples but this, one of the last times this line
    has appeared OTB in a top game is perfect and instructive.

Smyslov was not yet the Smyslov who won the World Title 12 years later but
    this game gives a hint of what was to come.

In this game White just seems to lose the thread not knowing to go defensive
    or attack. It's the kind of White position weaker players should avoid. Not lost but
    passive with all the ideas for Black.

I. Bondarevsky - V Smyslov USSR ch. 1945

12. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 13:561 edit
    A nice Smyslov Game
    Hi GP,

So it took a Smyslov (not even a Blackburne) to consign 7.Qd4 to the scrapheap.

It was an offhand move I threw out because I could see some positives for it. It was hardly a deeply prepared opening line I was testing in the fiery crucible of correspondence chess, and I freely admit that I did not accurately assess an obvious black reply. Maybe my OTB grade would be higher if I did that better.

My approach to openings these days is a bit slapdash. At the U180 at Kidlington in February I faced John Waterfield as Black. He played the Four Knights with 4.d4. I hadn't faced this in a very long time and I replied with 5...Bc5 and lost as follows: (not because of the opening though).

So looking through NCO afterward I reminded myself that 5...Bb4 has a better reputation than Bc5 and that 7.Bd3 is the main line. Black gets in d5 and should have a reasonable game.

Waterfield was a qualifier to this years British Champs and played the following exciting four knights game against FM David Ledger in round three. I reckon he nearly had him...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree