2,300 years ago

2,300 years ago

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Dec 11

A tiny oil lamp was set alight as Judah and his followers (the Maccabees) reclaimed the temple in Jerusalem and had successfully drove the Syrians out of Israel.

That oil lamp which had enough oil to last only one day went on to burn for 8 long days and is now known as the N'er Tamid which is set alight on this the 25th day of the month of Kislev every year by Jews celebrating the victory over the Syrians and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple.

Happy Chanukah.

Moves
21 Dec 11

Two thumps down from two very sad people.

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
21 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Trev33
I'll give it a TU. It's a good post.

st johnstone

Moves
21 Dec 11

thumbs up

Moves
21 Dec 11

Four incredibly sad people who should be repeatedly slapped in the face.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
21 Dec 11

A tiny oil lamp was set alight as Judah and his followers (the Maccabees) reclaimed the temple in Jerusalem and had successfully drove the Syrians out of Israel.

That oil lamp which had enough oil to last only one day went on to burn for 8 long days and is now known as the N'er Tamid which is set alight on this the 25th day of the month of Kislev every yea ...[text shortened]... g the victory over the Syrians and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple.

Happy Chanukah.
Hear hear, well said. Thumbz Up!~

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
21 Dec 11

That oil lamp which had enough oil to last only one day went on to burn for 8 long days and is now known as the N'er Tamid which is set alight on this the 25th day of the month of Kislev every yea ...[text shortened]... g the victory over the Syrians and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple.

Happy Chanukah.
The whole thing happend because even back then the Arabs controlled the oil, and had a trade embargo on the Jews.

old pueblo

Moves
21 Dec 11

I often suspected that the very same oil from 2300 years ago was part of the jar containing my only experience of gefilte fish. It tasted like the original oil from the temple soaking bread left over from the French Revolution. Nasty stuff.

Still, thumbs up for the original post!

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
21 Dec 11

That oil lamp which had enough oil to last only one day went on to burn for 8 long days
Obviously someone was telling lies about how much oil would be burnt per day then.

Moves
22 Dec 11

Up to 7 lame asses who thumped the original post down... i hope you coke on your Christmas dinner.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
22 Dec 11

Up to 7 lame asses who thumped the original post down... i hope you coke on your Christmas dinner.
I am one of the "lame asses" who gave a thumbs down for this thread. Why anyone would want to celebrate a victory, even over the Syrians, in the so-called name of religion beats me.

Thanks for the kind wishes over my Christmas dinner. Season's greetings to you as well.

Cheeses of Nazareth.

🙂

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
22 Dec 11

Happy Chanukah.
I don't understand all the thumbs down.

Does everyone have a Hanukkah phobia?

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by Very Rusty
I don't understand all the thumbs down.

Does everyone have a Hanukkah phobia?
Only Phalb and GB could pull off more thumps down for that post.

e
Exaulted high possum

here...again

Moves
22 Dec 11

And here I thought my late Father was the only jewish paddy. Happy Holidays.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 11

Happy Chanukah.
Happy non-specific, seasonal period of whatever contemporary, historical or other calendar you pace your life by.