Reti and Red Hot Pawn + Moonraker

Reti and Red Hot Pawn + Moonraker

Only Chess

e4

Joined
06 May 08
Moves
43363
19 Feb 14
1 edit

A good blog this one.

Me playing a girl at chess at a fancy dress chess tournament.

Proof Ian Fleming knew about chess - and a mini review of Moonraker.

The Bond villian Drax getting trapped.

A new example of the Reti Study theme missed by an RHP lad.

A 'how did that happen puzzle'
(S.G. what is the correct technical term and please post the solution here with a pgn thingy.)

Play the 4 opening moves that reached this position after Black’s 4th move.


t

Joined
30 Aug 04
Moves
391240
19 Feb 14
2 edits

Just to interrupt.
A long way back you did a post on Blackburne doing a f5 in response to Evans Gambit.
Anyways I tried it out f5 after 4. c3 and played one of my best games of chess.

Game 10454369

P.S another interesting post, I will try the square when I can

G

wotagr8game

tbc

Joined
18 Feb 04
Moves
61941
19 Feb 14

The final game is just brilliant!

chemist

Linkenheim

Joined
22 Apr 05
Moves
660169
19 Feb 14
1 edit

I can do it in three:

1. e4 e6 2. Bc4 c6 3. Bxe6 dxe6


but not in four. I do need three pawn moves for black, and I can't any filling move with the knight (to and fro)...

Joined
08 Apr 09
Moves
19657
19 Feb 14

Originally posted by Ponderable
I can do it in three:

[hidden]1. e4 e6 2. Bc4 c6 3. Bxe6 dxe6 [/hidden]

but not in four. I do need three pawn moves for black, and I can't any filling move with the knight (to and fro)...
That's indeed the funny thing. To squeeze in one more move for each side is really hard. I managed to find it however:

e4

Joined
06 May 08
Moves
43363
19 Feb 14

You have solved it TVchess.

I was hoping the do it in 3 would throw you.
I was ready with a "I said 4 moves not 3." It's good one.

That is an entertaing game the7tidlys.
The last thing I expected was it to go all the way to an ending with
both sides promoting, The game was on edge all the way through.

S
Caninus Interruptus

2014.05.01

Joined
11 Apr 07
Moves
92274
19 Feb 14

Originally posted by greenpawn34
A 'how did that happen puzzle'
(S.G. what is the correct technical term ...
It's a Proof Game in 4.0 moves.

e4

Joined
06 May 08
Moves
43363
19 Feb 14

Cheers mate.

Russ wanted you to do the Reti Study but I voluntered to do it.
One you owe me.

S
Caninus Interruptus

2014.05.01

Joined
11 Apr 07
Moves
92274
19 Feb 14

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Cheers mate.

Russ wanted you to do the Reti Study but I voluntered to do it.
One you owe me.
Heh, I'm so hopeless Russ doesn't even message me about writing a blog.

Just put it on my tab.

t

Joined
30 Aug 04
Moves
391240
20 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
You have solved it TVchess.

I was hoping the do it in 3 would throw you.
I was ready with a "I said 4 moves not 3." It's good one.

That is an entertaing game the7tidlys.
The last thing I expected was it to go all the way to an ending with
both sides promoting, The game was on edge all the way through.
I am sure there were places in there that a quality player (better than me and the opp), would have found a way.

I just wish I knew someone who likes to anlayse slightly unusual chess positions...

Anyway thanks for the response, it is a pleasure to read your (and Russ, who the hell is he?) blog.

G

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Joined
21 Aug 09
Moves
113744
22 Feb 14

One big "stand up and applaud" for me was that the blog shows how studies such as Reti's have tremendous learning value, as the concept/idea can be applied to our own games.

The idea that, in chess, the shortest distance between two points for a king is not always a straight line is not an intuitive one, and worth remembering.

e4

Joined
06 May 08
Moves
43363
22 Feb 14

Hi the7tidlys

Russ is the lad who owns and runs this site. The Boss.

(though don't Robbie McRobbie, he thinks he owns the place.)

Über-Nerd

Joined
31 May 12
Moves
8628
22 Feb 14

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
One big "stand up and applaud" for me was that the blog shows how studies such as Reti's have tremendous learning value, as the concept/idea can be applied to our own games.

The idea that, in chess, the shortest distance between two points for a king is not always a straight line is not an intuitive one, and worth remembering.
Em. Lasker said that he learned from Reti's endgame studies. High praise indeed.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Joined
09 Jun 07
Moves
48793
22 Feb 14

That Reti study for those that like YouTube

    Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.