Blitz vs Standard Chess with Radars

Blitz vs Standard Chess with Radars

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
08 Aug 17

Fairly self-explanatory from the title. I use my new favorite tool (radars) to examine the differences between blitz chess and chess at normal time controls.

Blog 364

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
09 Aug 17

Originally posted by @hikarushindo
Fairly self-explanatory from the title. I use my new favorite tool (radars) to examine the differences between blitz chess and chess at normal time controls.

Blog 364
I am a fan of stats but I confess I don't really understand the radar graphs.I don't think I'll be on my own in this.We mere mortals are more familiar with line, block and scatter graphs and pie charts
I presume the more "coloured in" the hexagon is the better the performance.Two particular area's which confuse me are the avge centi pawn loss and the ratings change.
Nevertheless, i'm sure it would be very interesting if I understood it all so well done for all the effort.

Dave

Moves
09 Aug 17
1 edit

Hello @venda,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the radars are fairly confusing, and given that I've gotten that response a few times I might try putting the same data in bar graphs or scatterplots for each statistic.
The reason I've used them so far is that they're good for showing multiple data points at a time, but if they're confusing, then they don't serve the purpose of visualizations.
In regards to the two categories you mentioned, rating increase/decrease is simply how the player changed in rating during the tournament.
Average centipawn loss is a metric I've gotten from lichess, which measures how much (per move) the computer valuation of a player's position drops after their moves.
I'm going to be doing a blog next about more chess-specific stuff, as I don't want this to turn entirely into a stats blog rather than a chess blog, but I really appreciate your feedback regardless as these are topics I'd like to return to in the future.

HikaruShindo