Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 09 Aug '17 17:48 / 2 edits

    Between all of us we have 1,000’s of chess books, most are simply no good!
    But someone may recognise a phase or two and tell me what book it’s from.

    The key book ‘Funeral in Berlin’ by Len Deighton was published in 1964
    so we are looking for a chess book that was published before that date.

    A couple of ‘What Happened Next’ featuring Fischer and Lasker. The Fischer one
    may be too well known but until recently I have never heard of the Lasker incident.

    A puzzle that sets up a very amusing piece of play from an RHP game.

    An opening trap that seems to be preserve of the RHP player @Blanca

    Blog 365
  2. Subscriber vandervelde On Vacation
    medieval punk rocker
    09 Aug '17 19:01
    Of course Rf6, blockade move on the championship hen Fiscger scored 11 out of 11.
    Actually, as I was scrolling I was going to write after it he ate a cake, because I saw that picture in Frank Brady's biography "Endgame..." and it had sriken me, that photo, since Fischer looks very awkward, as a woman, with soft body and soft stomach and EMPTY look (glaze) in his eyes.

    And I came to the conclusion that it was a result of tremendoius psychological effort in order to achieve 100% result.

    The same look Fischer showed in 1972, after 13th game--->>>

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/ff/25/aeff252984a78e76c3909a5f71ca081f.jpg

    He became a woman and crazy.
    That's what chess makes of people - insane grandmothers.
  3. Subscriber vandervelde On Vacation
    medieval punk rocker
    09 Aug '17 19:03
    As for the quotes - they're mystifications in postmodern fashion.
  4. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    10 Aug '17 06:49
    19. Rf6 is probably the most beautiful move I have ever seen.

    VdV: Offensive sexist comments do not become you.
  5. Subscriber vandervelde On Vacation
    medieval punk rocker
    10 Aug '17 10:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    19. Rf6 is probably the most beautiful move I have ever seen.

    VdV: Offensive sexist comments do not become you.
    If I ever move to the West, and settle in some old European city with a view on countless channels, I would probably work at some manual job, as garbage man or driver of garbage truck or in a laundry and I will happily declare myself a mute person or speech-disabled. I would be perfectly happy with minimum loan and rented studio, will go to the library and play street chess (maybe online, too), and will avoid at any costs any, I repeat ANY chance to speak in public, since I know that POLITICAL CORRECTNES could make a criminal of me in a jiffy.

    "sexist comment"?! I don't believe it.
  6. 10 Aug '17 11:59 / 1 edit
    Hi vandervelde,

    No need to go and work in the laundry and pretend you are mute. It was a joke.

    Never mind all this P.C. nonsense. Look amongst your books. Find that book!!

    Remember a blog about Percy Wenman .who plagiarised chess problems.

    Blog Post 356

    Just found out today that he was arrested for shop lifting two books in 1907.
    London Standard June 1907 reported it. He was given six months probation.

    I'm hoping it was chess books and if it would be incredible if it was chess problem books.

    Not only did he nick the problems, he nicked the books he took them from!
    I'm starting to really like this guy. He is worth his weight in column inches.
  7. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    11 Aug '17 00:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    If I ever move to the West, and settle in some old European city with a view on countless channels, I would probably work at some manual job, as garbage man or driver of garbage truck or in a laundry and I will happily declare myself a mute person or speech-disabled. I would be perfectly happy with minimum loan and rented studio, will go to the library ...[text shortened]... CAL CORRECTNES could make a criminal of me in a jiffy.

    "sexist comment"?! I don't believe it.
    Yes, sexist, absolutely. Why associate all those negative adjectives unnecessarily with women? Wouldn't "Fischer looks very awkward, with soft body and soft stomach and EMPTY look (glaze) in his eyes." work just as well without denigrating half the species? I agree with you that Fischer looks terribly spent in that photo (very unlike him) but I don't think he looks feminine.
  8. 11 Aug '17 00:55
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    Yes, sexist, absolutely. Why associate all those negative adjectives unnecessarily with women? Wouldn't "Fischer looks very awkward, with soft body and soft stomach and EMPTY look (glaze) in his eyes." work just as well without denigrating half the species? I agree with you that Fischer looks terribly spent in that photo (very unlike him) but I don't think he looks feminine.
    Why care about what others believe? Are you his master?
  9. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    11 Aug '17 01:27 / 1 edit
    I don't care what others believe. I care when chess players create a hostile environment for other chess players. "Master?" where did you get that? I couldn't care less about VdV except that usually his crazy rantings are entertaining.

    My daughter used to play chess and it was rough because of hundreds of little aggressions from people who made "jokes" that all added up to a situation where she would simply rather not be around than to play chess and have to deal with it. It's not a coincidence that there are so few women in chess when there are enough dudes who play and think it's OK to constantly associate negative traits with women. Most chess players are nice to everyone, but there are about 5% who are sexist and loud. Most of the time they are at home studying, so they're not a problem. But when they come out for a tournament, they spew drivel without even realizing they have such ingrained prejudices. I call them on it in real life too.
  10. 11 Aug '17 02:06
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    I don't care what others believe. I care when chess players create a hostile environment for other chess players. "Master?" where did you get that? I couldn't care less about VdV except that usually his crazy rantings are entertaining.

    My daughter used to play chess and it was rough because of hundreds of little aggressions from people who made "jokes" ...[text shortened]... without even realizing they have such ingrained prejudices. I call them on it in real life too.
    Seems to me that you are creating the hostile environment.
  11. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    11 Aug '17 06:05
    Touche. I'll take that under advisement.
  12. 12 Aug '17 16:34
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    Most chess players are nice to everyone, but there are about 5% who are sexist and loud.
    Mind you, IME this is at least as true of women as it is of men.
  13. 12 Aug '17 16:36
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    I agree with you that Fischer looks terribly spent in that photo (very unlike him) but I don't think he looks feminine.
    He looks like a Serbian catamite, which, let's be honest, he was for a good number of years. No wonder vanderveldovisch loves him so much.
  14. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    12 Aug '17 20:54
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Mind you, IME this is at least as true of women as it is of men.
    You are probably right. Idiocy is an equal opportunity employer. But let's run the numbers:

    Say you are at a chess tournament and there are 100 players. Let's generously say that 10 of them are women. 5% of everyone are loud and sexist which means that there are between 4 and 5 males who will say to their friend, loudly, "You lost to a GIRL???? HA! Ha!" or complain to the TD, "Make her cover up, she's distracting me." and two or three other idiotic statements over the course of the weekend.

    Meanwhile there will be between zero and one female who will say, "Shut the #$@% up, you ignorant git! When will men ever learn?"

    Who has a more hostile environment? The 12 year old girl who experiences 5 instances of sexism over the course of the weekend and has to sit next to one of these morons for one of her games, or the 12 year old boy who gets rudely told to stop making sexist comments one time by a moron.

    The point is that it is we men that are making the environment difficult for girls to succeed in chess so it is up to us to fix it.
  15. 13 Aug '17 12:49
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    The point is that it is we men that are making the environment difficult for girls to succeed in chess so it is up to us to fix it.
    Isn't that attitude itself sexist, though? Those poor little girls don't have the strength to stand up to men, so we have to do it for them. Stand back, girlie, and let Captain Masculine defend you from the male chauvinist pig!