02 Mar '05 13:36
    Well, I'll be damned.
  5. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 13:531 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Well, I'll be damned.
    Me too. It'll be interesting to see how and if this works. I honestly hope it does. Will it flourish with real debates and discussions or will it become a barren wasteland consisting of nothing but religious zealots spouting off about their faith in the lord until no one longer listens and then they too dissapear?

We shall see.
  6. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:07
    Whatever happens I would like to thank Russ & the powers that be for creating this. If this should fail we can now never say it wasn't given a chance.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:16
    Originally posted by wib
    Me too. It'll be interesting to see how and if this works. I honestly hope it does. Will it flourish with real debates and discussions or will it become a barren wasteland consisting of nothing but religious zealots spouting off about their faith in the lord until no one longer listens and then they too dissapear?

We shall see.
    religious zealots spouting off about their faith in the lord until no one longer listens and then they too dissapear?

If this actually happens, I might start believing in a Supreme Deity capable of miracles!

Thank you, Russ and this will probably be my only post in this Forum.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:25
    If no one ever comes, will we be going back to the Debate Forum? I must say, I feel extremely discriminated against, but I suppose it won't hurt if people still get the message.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 15:351 edit
    Is spiritual discussion in the Debates forum now an alertable offense?

That is, is all spiritual discussion that takes place on RHP required to take place here, or do users have the option of having such discussion in General or Debates?

If a Debate starts to discuss the explicative power of the theory of evolution, are users now prohibited from contrasting evolution with the Christian theory of creation in that thread?

Are Christians now prohibited from defending their pro-life values in a Debate about abortion?

Are Chrisitans now prohibited from using scripture to justify their support of the family values of the Republican Party in political Debates?

Is the historicity of Jesus' miracles as depicted in the Bible no longer a valid topic in Debates?

Dr. S
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 16:35
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

That is, is all spiritual discussion that takes place on RHP required to take place here, or do users have the option of having such discussion in General or Debates?

If a Debate starts to discuss the explicative power of the theory of evolution, are users now prohibited fro ...[text shortened]... ricity of Jesus' miracles as depicted in the Bible no longer a valid topic in Debates?

Dr. S
    Posts and threads will be dealt with case to case... if a subject gets a religious reply, that might just be fine... but if it changes the topic, and becomes too much... the posts will either need to be removed, or the thread might need to be moved if it turns into a religious debate.

There is no blanket answer for your question; time will tell how the 2 separate forums pan out. Let's wait for this new forum to fail, before we call it a failure.

P
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 16:361 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Let's wait for this new forum to fail, before we call it a failure.

P
    It is a failure by design. No implementation can make it a success.

Either it's mandatory or voluntary. If it's mandatory, my points above stand. If it's voluntary, then it's aesthetically redundant with Debates.
  12. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 16:40

If a Debate starts to discuss the explicative power of the theory of evolution, are users now prohibited fro ...[text shortened]... ricity of Jesus' miracles as depicted in the Bible no longer a valid topic in Debates?

Dr. S
    If you need to ask you're not ready to hear the answer...

These are bridges we will all cross together when they arise.

Then you'll have your answer...

MÅ¥HÅRM
  13. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 16:43

Dr. S
    Well I am absolutely nobody of authority on this but I think much more is being made out of all of this than necessary. By myself and others, we felt there was a religious agenda flooding the common Debates arena. As we felt it was unfair that was the case, it was equally unfair to attempt to ban religious discussions, hence the creation of the Spirituality forum. This is where common sense should take over:

I would say technically it is but if the parties involved do not take offense to what is being discussed then there is no need to alert anyone. It should really take place in Spirituality just as a chess discussion would most likely take place in the Chess forum.

Again, common sense should take over. Why would it be difficult to create a spiritual discussion in the more appropriate forum?

If a Debate starts to discuss the explicative power of the theory of evolution, are users now prohibited from contrasting evolution with the Christian theory of creation in that thread?

Well good question. I would guess it really should go in Spirituality but it could exist in Debates. I think the example below could show how it spirals out of control:

Evolutionist: I believe in Evolution
    Non-Evolutionist: I believe in Creationism
    Evolutionist: Here's why I believe in Evolution (blah blah blah)
    Non-Evolutionist: Here's why I believe in Creationism (blah blah blah).
    Evolutionist: Well I disagree with you.
    Non-Evolutionist: That's because you have not accepted my belief (RED FLAG - ALERT Should go into Spirituality)

The debate itself has never been the issue. The issue has always been the end result where the person of a faith ends up condeming the person who does not share the faith. The person who does not share the faith, in turn, resorts to bashing the beliefs of the person of faith. The hope is that this will be avoided and, if unavoidable, a place created where you can "enter at your own risk".

Are Christians now prohibited from defending their pro-life values in a Debate about abortion?

Again no they should not be and this could easily remain in Debates provided the traditional name calling doesn't occur on either sides.

Are Chrisitans now prohibited from using scripture to justify their support of the family values of the Republican Party in political Debates?

They shouldn't be prohibited but again, is it that difficult to see where something can be determined to have an agenda? Or when a debate turns into demeaning someone's beliefs?

Is the historicity of Jesus' miracles as depicted in the Bible no longer a valid topic in Debates?

This seems to be the only one of what you mentioned that would be, to me, clearly held in the Spirituality forum. With all due respect, not everyone believes in the miracles of Jesus.

14. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:00
    It is a failure by design. No implementation can make it a success.

Either it's mandatory or voluntary. If it's mandatory, my points above stand. If it's voluntary, then it's aesthetically redundant with Debates.
    Can't we just see how it goes? Overtly 'spiritual' threads should start here. If non-spiritual threads in 'Debates' turn spiritual, I guess the person/people responsible for the change are asked to take it to 'Spirituality'.

What's the big deal?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:02
    Originally posted by Joe Fist

[b]Is the historicity of Jesus' miracles as depicted in the Bible no longer a valid topic in Debates?

This seems to be the only one of what you mentioned that would be, to me, clearly held in the Spirituality forum. With all due respect, not everyone believes in the miracles of Jesus.

[/b]
    Surely you jest in your reasoning and your conclusion. You just can't be serious.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree