1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 18:021 edit
    Some people think that rec's are worthless due to the fact that people give them out for anything. Others find them to be an essential part of the forums here. I find them to be great, and often flick to the recommended posts section to see what good posts have been made recently.

I do agree that sometimes it is a waste of time looking at this section, as evidenced when posts by katty dominated a while back.

What I propose is this: Expand the recommendations concept, to try to make it more worthwhile. I find I mostly rec posts when I have a little laugh out loud, or when I think a political point that I agree with is well made. As things stand, both of these posts would receive a generic rec. What I propose is that different subsections of recs be introduced, for example...
    LOL'ed for the funny ones, and
    A post of Bushian eloquency and brilliance for the political ones. Other categories could be
    Yey, he hath spoken for the ones which support religious idealogies well,
    The naysayer sayeth nay well for the posts which argue against the presence of god well,
    Eureka! for good ideas in the site ideas,
    OOOOO, that's gotta hurt for good goads in the clan section,
    The wise one has spoken for the brigade who rec all of Russ' posts.

That way, if I want to see what is making people laugh in the forums lately, I'll have a look into the LOLed subsection of the Recommended pages. If I want to see what posts are getting up the bible bashers noses, I'll go to the appropriate section, etc.

Where it says total recs in a persons forum profile, it'd now give a count within each subsection, so you could see the personality of the poster at a glance, ie: he's 1 funny boy, or she is obviously an expert on world politics.

Obviously, the naming of the different subsections would be entirely flexible, I just put forth some ideas of my own so people got the idea what I was talking about.

Any thoughts?

D
  2. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 18:50
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Some people think that rec's are worthless due to the fact that people give them out for anything. Others find them to be an essential part of the forums here. I find them to be great, and often flick to the recommended posts section to see what good posts have been made recently.

I do agree that sometimes it is a waste of time looking at this secti ...[text shortened]... th some ideas of my own so people got the idea what I was talking about.

Any thoughts?

D
    Eureka
  3. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 21:07
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

I do agree that sometimes it is a waste of time looking at this secti ...[text shortened]... th some ideas of my own so people got the idea what I was talking about.

Any thoughts?

D
    Great idea.
    Why not introduce anti recs or perhaps an idoit catergory where a person makes a right boob of themselves. An anti-rec would bring the much needed shame and embarrassment upon the person for all to see.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 21:241 edit
    Originally posted by dale21
    Great idea.
    Why not introduce anti recs or perhaps an idoit catergory where a person makes a right boob of themselves. An anti-rec would bring the much needed shame and embarrassment upon the person for all to see.
    Anti-reccing has been discussed before and general consensus is that it would be abused.

Edit - Anti-anti-rec for Rag's original post though.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 17:34
    Originally posted by dale21
    Great idea.
    Why not introduce anti recs or perhaps an idoit catergory where a person makes a right boob of themselves.
    I think that's included in Ragnorak's categories: "A post of Bushian eloquency and brilliance" 😉

Anyway, while I kind of like the idea of different rec categories, I think it might make things too complicated.
  6. Joined
    13 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 20:54
    Without being excessively offensive, the name of this website sucks. Although I suppose it does give a flavour of the oddball types who carry on their weird conversations in the forums, one of whom probably invented it (and then went home with a severe headache).
  7. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 20:56
    Originally posted by mac slayer
    Without being excessively offensive, the name of this website sucks. Although I suppose it does give a flavour of the oddball types who carry on their weird conversations in the forums, one of whom probably invented it (and then went home with a severe headache).
    What - www.chessatwork.com - what's wrong with that? 😉
  8. The sky
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 22:08
    Originally posted by Exy
    What - www.chessatwork.com - what's wrong with that? 😉
    Mine says "Time For Chess". 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree