1. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 19:342 edits
    Eventually one of these "strange" opening moves came in a regular game, and I didn't know how to handle it. The f4 pawn stood well during the whole game and restricted me.. So, I realized I must have wasted my chances to counter properly.

I wonder how to meet f4. Is perhaps an e5-break appropriate at some point?

Feels like an opening where you can get sweeped off of the board if you don't know it..
  2. The sky
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 19:44
    Originally posted by Golub
    Eventually one of these "strange" opening moves came in a regular game, and I didn't know how to handle it. The f4 pawn stood well during the whole game and restricted me.. So, I realized I must have wasted my chances to counter properly.

Feels like an opening where you can get sweeped off of the board if you don't know it..
    One possibility is the From Gambit. There's currently a thematic tournament about it in progress, Tournament 793. I must say that after three rounds I still don't like the opening, no matter whether I play Black or White...
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 19:56
    Originally posted by Golub

The From Gambit is a great equaliser, IMO. Ratings kind of go out the window when it's played.

D
  4. The sky
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 19:58
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The From Gambit is a great equaliser, IMO. Ratings kind of go out the window when it's played.

D
    For some mysterious reason, it also seems to make players with a significantly higher rating than their opponents blunder their queen (very useful if you are on the receiving end). 😉
  5. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    For some mysterious reason, it also seems to make players with a significantly higher rating than their opponents blunder their queen (very useful if you are on the receiving end). 😉
    Game 1747668 ?
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:13
    I am trying to figure out what black gets as compensation for playing Froms gambit...

1. A short term lead in development.
    2. Open d & e files for his rooks/queen.
    3. A wide open game.
    4. Initiatiative.

However white has fairly easy development himself and should be able to make the extra pawn count.

Does anyone have examples of modern GMs using froms gambit?
  7. The sky
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:15
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    Game 1747668 ?
    For example. 🙂 Or Game 1428837, although Ragnorak managed to save that one.
  8. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:381 edit
    I've recently discovered 1. f4 via IM Tim Taylors book "Bird's Opening"

He actually makes a very good case for employing it:

1) Its unusual. You are more likely to be in your own prep than your opponents.
    2) Its a Dutch defence WITH AN EXTRA TEMPO!!!
    3) It has some very sharp lines and some very positional lines - enough to suit all tastes
    4) From's nothing to be afraid of if you are prepared to spend a little time learning the safe route through and actually can give white a significant plus.

Personally I like it because I enjoy the positions it produces, I dislike 1. d4 and very strangely have never felt truly comfortable with 1. e4.
  9. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:40
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    Game 1747668 ?
    Swings and roundabouts - Game 1550973
  10. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 21:06
    The Bird is the Word.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 21:22
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Swings and roundabouts - Game 1550973
    Lol. I guess I'll have to take out the "with a significantly higher rating than their opponents", and just say "For some mysterious reason, it also seems to make players blunder their queen".
  12. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 23:07
    According to Taylor's book, the From declined is not good for white.

You have to be prepared and learn the accepted From. If you avoid the one-move threats, which is all the From really is, (albeit a lot of them in quick succession) white will have a significant plus.
  13. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 00:00
    Bird's opening is simply the Dutch defense with a move in hand, and it has an aggressive potential that Tartakower, Nimzovich, and later Larsen showed to be worthy of anyone's opening repertoire.
    For an unprepared opponent, it rules.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 02:57
    Originally posted by Tengu
    2) Its a Dutch defence WITH AN EXTRA TEMPO!!!
    I disagree - in the Dutch white has already commited a pawn, whereas in Bird's opening black doesn't have to play 1. d5, MCO edition 14 give 1 ... c5 as "the professional's response". The difficulty with 1.f4 is that it more or less gives up white's opening initiative - but then again how many grandmasters do you play?
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 03:07
    Sometimes the Bird goes well for black:

[Event "Clan league"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2006.03.07"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Bird Fan"]
    [Black "Lucky Man"]
    [Result "*"]
    [ECO "A02"]
    [PlyCount "7"]
    [EventDate "2006.??.??"]

1. f4 e5 2. fxe5 d6 3. exd6 Bxd6 4. Nc3 *

Black to move, mate in three.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree