1. Standard memberTheKid
    Tommy
    Broomfield, CO
    Moves
    01 May '06 18:34
    I know this isn't supposed to be "speed chess" exactly, but maybe an optional "bong" of some sort that plays when its my turn (have at least one game waiting). This would require some sort of auto-refresh of a small iframe or ajax or something probably? I really wouldn't want the page to be refreshing wholly, but like just a little request with a response of 0 or not zero and a "tone" .. maybe a little gnubiff type gnome applet (hmm)

~tommy
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 May '06 18:47
    Originally posted by TheKid
    I know this isn't supposed to be "speed chess" exactly, but maybe an optional "bong" of some sort that plays when its my turn (have at least one game waiting). This would require some sort of auto-refresh of a small iframe or ajax or something probably? I really wouldn't want the page to be refreshing wholly, but like just a little request with a response of 0 or not zero and a "tone" .. maybe a little gnubiff type gnome applet (hmm)

~tommy
    Thread 38399

D
  3. Standard memberTheKid
    Tommy
    Broomfield, CO
    Moves
    01 May '06 20:48
    Hmmm, that would be nice if I ran Windows. I suppose I should have been less subtle. Gnome Applet like gnubiff would indicate that I do not run Windows. The one that looked sorta nice (if I ran Windows) requires the use of IE, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Maybe the use of "yet another" gmail account and gnubiff in combination?

What I was really looking for was an audible notification that came from my browser somehow, not an external app that would require a different version for each OS/platform/UI.

Thanks,
    Tommy
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    01 May '06 22:06
    There is a pop up thingy you can initiate, that tells you by popping up when it is your turn. It is still in beta and residing somewhere on this site. I don't know where, but a nice gent or dame up here will tell you the directions, I bet.
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    03 May '06 16:28
    Then I'll be the gentleman; http://www.redhotpawn.com/beta/agentlauncher.php
  6. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    04 May '06 11:54
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Then I'll be the gentleman; http://www.redhotpawn.com/beta/agentlauncher.php
    i have heard of this before - sounds good - how does it work?
  7. Swansea
    Moves
    04 May '06 12:31
    it searches through your games and when one move is waiting it pops up above your other pages and lets you know that you have a move waiting 🙂 its a clever little chappy 😀
  8. Standard memberTheKid
    Tommy
    Broomfield, CO
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:35
    Cool, will try that.

Also, I was just thinking, it would be cool to get an IM notification.. You could use XMPP (as XMPP also has transports to other networks)

http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml

Anyhow, just an idea. 😀

~tommy
  9. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:00
    Originally posted by expressiveoutburst
    it searches through your games and when one move is waiting it pops up above your other pages and lets you know that you have a move waiting 🙂 its a clever little chappy 😀
    But it only works if you current load that requires your initiative is down to 0.
    It would be nice if it could say: "Hey you, you had 24 games waiting, but now you have 25!". Or maybe even better, it could be set to keep an eye on a certain game(id) to say something like "Hey you, WhateverHisNameIs has just moved!".
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    08 May '06 23:36
    Originally posted by TheKid

~tommy
    http://home.comcast.net/~johnbart/

The last time I spoke with Mr. John Bart about this issue. He said he thought it might be a good idea and He told me that it might be a little difficult to do this but he would take a look at it and see if he could manage some sort of sound feature. I believe he may be still working on the solution. You might want to send him a message via. the link I provided to let him know that his efforts are appreciated and see how he is progressing. He has a feedback link on his download site. With any luck he might come up with a newer improved version. :-)) Kudo's to all the people involved and their ideas in making this a great place to play chess. :-))
  11. Standard memberTheKid
    Tommy
    Broomfield, CO
    Moves
    09 May '06 16:41
    Originally posted by Aiko
    But it only works if you current load that requires your initiative is down to 0.
    It would be nice if it could say: "Hey you, you had 24 games waiting, but now you have 25!". Or maybe even better, it could be set to keep an eye on a certain game(id) to say something like "Hey you, WhateverHisNameIs has just moved!".
    This is true, but I have trouble keeping track of 5 games, I would never be able to do 25.

It also doesn't seem to continue refresh once it determines you have games waiting, you have to remember to go hit refresh so it starts "counting" again. However, its still better than email.

Is RHP opensource so that we can try to make imporvements ourselves?

I think notification via XMPP (jabber) would be pretty easy, you could enter your jabberID in your profile and have a preference to notify for all games (by default) and as one of those like "per game" preferences to enable/disable like in a post move option or something.

~tommy

~tommy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree