Examples of openings?

Examples of openings?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
30 Aug 06

Could some people please post some links to games demonstrating various openings as it would be most helpful for many of us beginners 8) Any explanations of the reasons for these openings and their finer points would be appreciated!

G

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Davi5678
Could some people please post some links to games demonstrating various openings as it would be most helpful for many of us beginners 8) Any explanations of the reasons for these openings and their finer points would be appreciated!
Go here: http://www.chessgames.com/
Now let's say you want to explore the Giuoco Piano but you don't know the ECO code.Simply click on "eco help" and you get a list of all the codes.Now find the code for Giuoco Piano,check the box "with annotation" and click "find chess games!".Now you get a wealth of annotated games with the opening you desired.You can even download the pgn 🙂
Not all openings have an equal amount of annotated games though.For instance,I did a search for annotated Bogo-Indian games and they only have 3 of those vs 29 of the Giuoco Piano.Sometimes life ain't fair 😞

D

Moves
30 Aug 06

cheers for that! I'll have a look.

o

Moves
30 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Gorgar
Go here: http://www.chessgames.com/
Now let's say you want to explore the Giuoco Piano but you don't know the ECO code.Simply click on "eco help" and you get a list of all the codes.Now find the code for Giuoco Piano,check the box "with annotation" and click "find chess games!".Now you get a wealth of annotated games with the opening you desired.You can even ...[text shortened]... es and they only have 3 of those vs 29 of the Giuoco Piano.Sometimes life ain't fair 😞
The problem is that searching chessgames like that will get you annoted games not openings and on many games the annotions are horrible, I searched for annoted budapest gambit games and one of them had the following annotions:1Notes by Ray Keene 2.? 3.!! 4. black resigned...helpful no? You can try this site http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/ch-clear.htm it dosen't go into much detail but it might help.

D

Moves
30 Aug 06

I was just looking at one of the other threads asking for help and someone made the point about not worrying about openings until you have a better grasp of strategy and tactics, I think this appiies to me. They don't quite make sense yet so I thinks I'll spend some time thinking more about "how it all works"

G

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by omulcusobolani
The problem is that searching chessgames like that will get you annoted games not openings and on many games the annotions are horrible, I searched for annoted budapest gambit games and one of them had the following annotions:1Notes by Ray Keene 2.? 3.!! 4. black resigned...helpful no? You can try this site http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/ch-clear.htm it dosen't go into much detail but it might help.
I can't really judge the quality of annotation but I would assume there are at least some good ones to be found.
In any case,davi requested games demonstrating openings,I think that site provides exactly that.Also,when you open a game,you have the option "explore this opening" which I think is pretty good as well.
Of course,if you want the ideas of the opening explained then the site you linked is better.Used together the 2 sites provide pretty much all you need 🙂

z

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Davi5678
I was just looking at one of the other threads asking for help and someone made the point about not worrying about openings until you have a better grasp of strategy and tactics, I think this appiies to me. They don't quite make sense yet so I thinks I'll spend some time thinking more about "how it all works"
Generally Tactics and strategy is more important. The following is a short summary of the goals of the opening and should suffice until you reach 1400.

Zebano's guide to the opening**

1. Develop your pieces and protect your king (connecting your rooks and castling is ideal)
2. Control the center of the board namely the e4,e5,d4,d5 squares. This can be done by occupying the center (probably with pawns) or from afar with pieces that cannot be attacked (these are known as hypermodern openings). The reason for this is laid out in numbers 1 & 2 below.

Some general ideas which help you get there
1. Place a bishop on c4 and consider how many squares it influences, how many does it influence on f1? How about if it is on g2 and there is a pawn on e4?
2. Repeat # 1 but with a knight, notice that the pawn makes little difference in the scope of the knight (it can restrict a knights movement options).
3. Don't move pieces more than once without a concrete reason to. You are wasting time that the opponent can use to gain a lead in development - it doesn't matter if you're up a rook but he has all 6 other pieces pointed right at your king and you have only the queen nearby to defend.
4. It is usually a bad idea to move the queen out. This is because the opponent can attack it and it is so valuable that you must move it. This generally means your opponent will gain a lead in development.
5. Forcing moves (i.e. check or a night attacking the enemy queen) are better than non-forcing moves simply because they are easier to calculate and means the opponent is playing your game not his. This is true in all portions of the game.
6. Remember to look (briefly) for tactics in all positions. This is how 90%* of games are won at our level.
7. f2/f7 are the weakest points of the pawn chain and attacking them may be worthwhile but trading your knight and bishop for your opponents rook and f2(7) pawn is almost always a bad idea.
8. There are exceptions to all rules. That said, you must first learn when the rules work if you want to know when you can break them.

**bastardized from other sources to numerous to name which give out the exact same information.
* An estimate by me. Remember that 99.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

o

Moves
30 Aug 06

Too late to edit my last post.....here's something else that might help you:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_openings

c

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by zebano
Generally Tactics and strategy is more important. The following is a short summary of the goals of the opening and should suffice until you reach 1400.

Zebano's guide to the opening**

1. Develop your pieces and protect your king (connecting your rooks and castling is ideal)
2. Control the center of the board namely the e4,e5,d4,d5 squares. This can be ...[text shortened]... nformation.
* An estimate by me. Remember that 99.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
My guide to what everybody, no matter your rating should use..

1.e4 e5
2.f4!!!!!! exf4

Chess would be sweet if every game opened like this...

z

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
My guide to what everybody, no matter your rating should use..

1.e4 e5
2.f4!!!!!! exf4

Chess would be sweet if every game opened like this...
or very boring...

I'm in your clan because I do love to play the kings gambit, but variety is the spice of life.

fyi, you continue to prove true my assertion that you are unable to post anything without referencing the kings gambit 😵

c

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by zebano
or very boring...

I'm in your clan because I do love to play the kings gambit, but variety is the spice of life.

fyi, you continue to prove true my assertion that you are unable to post anything without referencing the kings gambit 😵
Boring?! Maybe after a few hundred to a few thousand games in a row...

Anyhow, true, it's hard not to mention the KG.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Boring?! Maybe after a few hundred to a few thousand games in a row...

Anyhow, true, it's hard not to mention the KG.
Did it again.

c

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Did it again.
Yeah, I know that I mentioned the KG again, I do in appx. 97% of my posts.

o

Moves
31 Aug 06

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_openings/openings.html I just found this site and it's great, it has annoted games for many oppenigs, and i think the annotions are pretty good.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
31 Aug 06
2 edits

There's no point talking about an opening until you understand the opening.

Zebano gave a good rundown why. If you're still not satisfied, I suggest running through some annotated games off of www.academicchess.org. You will learn a lot more that way than memorising a few opening moves that your opponent may not even play.