1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 02:50
    I know this sounds like a silly question...but I have never entered an online chess tournament before...only physical chess tournaments...

Can anyone who has participated in an RHP tournament please explain in general how RHP tournaments work? How much timeout/timebank is included? How many rounds are there? Are opponents set up in brackets? Any knowledge would be appreciated...
  2. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 03:39
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I know this sounds like a silly question...but I have never entered an online chess tournament before...only physical chess tournaments...

Can anyone who has participated in an RHP tournament please explain in general how RHP tournaments work? How much timeout/timebank is included? How many rounds are there? Are opponents set up in brackets? Any knowledge would be appreciated...
    they work

Each has it's own timeout period and various details. What you have to watch for is the group size since you will play twice as many games as that number.

I made the mistake of joining two tourneys with 15 player groups and I wasn't ready for an additional 60 games.

It's a great way to get into a bunch of games at once. If you want to keep the challenge to your level play banded if you want to have one game against every rating play unbanded.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 09:48
    but i've heard that u get 3 points a win... 1 point a draw 😕

i cant join anyway.. but its seems ridiculous to me.. every tournament in the world has 1 pt a win 1/2 a draw 😕

its like Pro Evo Soccer released and each time u get a goal its 2.. but its 3 if u score outside de area...
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 10:321 edit
    only physical chess tournaments
    Hmm, physical chess tournaments, eh? 😉 Be honest now. The black
    king is always bigger, right?

Addition: Oh! Oh! Oh! I got a better one: I always loved playing black. 😀
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 14:011 edit
    Community > Tournaments > Open Tournaments

Click on one (for instance Tournament 1668. On the left you will see tournament details including timeout, timebank, group size, and pairings. Click the link entitled "Enter Tournament" to enroll. Finally, yes a win is worth 3 and a draw is worth 1, this is to encourage fighting chess.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 21:01
    In a "themed" tournament, do you HAVE to play the opening as titled on the tournament?
  7. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 21:05
    Seems to stand to reason.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 21:09
    In a "themed" tournament, do you HAVE to play the opening as titled on the tournament?
    The themed tournaments have a starting position that is a few moves into that opening. What you do from that starting position (pictured on the page) is up to you.
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 21:10
    thanks for the help 🙂
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 03:50
    If a tournament has enough players to begin but does not have the maximum when does the tournament begin? For example, I signed up for Tournament 1654 which has enough to start but has not reached the maximum...
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 03:53
    If a tournament has enough players to begin but does not have the maximum when does the tournament begin? For example, I signed up for Tournament 1654 which has enough to start but has not reached the maximum...
    It depends..
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:31
    Originally posted by briancron
    they work

Each has it's own timeout period and various details. What you have to watch for is the group size since you will play twice as many games as that number.

I made the mistake of joining two tourneys with 15 player groups and I wasn't ready for an additional 60 games.

It's a great way to get into a bunch of games at once. If you want to ...[text shortened]... ge to your level play banded if you want to have one game against every rating play unbanded.
    I got caught out that way as well. Now I'm more careful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree